Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
WolfHeart704

Windows 8 Tablet

With the announcement of Lenovo designing a Windows 8 tablet, for those who are interested, what would you like to see in this new tablet? I'll start, and maybe Lenovo will incorporate our wants, or maybe not.

Before I start, I'd like to say that I know very little about the technical side of things, so the specs I list could very well not be feasible. If that is the case, feel free to correct me.

Aesthetics and Design: Constructed out of aluminum. About .5 inches thick or so, without tapered edges. A very simple matte black would be nice, maybe a gun metal grey but probably black. The back should be a very rubberier feeling, that almost feels soft. Kinda like the back of kindles (or the tpt is like this I think). A 5 megapixel front facing camera, and an 8 megapixel rear facing camera with led flash. At least one full sized USB 3.0 port, a thunderbolt, full sized SD card reader, mini-hdmi port, docking/charging port, and a screen rotation lock. Headphone jack.

Memory: No more of these little 16 or 32 GB hard drives. Tablets are becoming more and more powerful, and could easily replace a desktop/laptop for people who do light web browsing/checking emails. A 128-256 GB SSD drive of the best quality. At least 4 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Display: Lenovo is often said to lack in displays. Well no longer. I would like to see a 10-12 inch display with a DPI of 264 or better. Yes, match the iPad or beat it. Also, Corning Gorilla Glass is a MUST HAVE, its a deal breaker for me if you don't incorporate it.

Processor: Dual-Core i3 is what I'm leaning towards, but maybe i5.

Battery Life: Lenovo is known for great battery lives. I'd like to see a 12 hour or better battery life. If that is just not feasible at all (which may be the case) I could do with 10 hours.

Digitizer: You currently use N-Trig, but right now, I think Wacom has the edge over N-Trig and after skimming through the forums, it seems a lot of other people agree so if you can incorporate Wacom that would be incredible. Also, no cords attaching the pen to the tablet, they're just annoying. I think it goes without saying, but I'll mention it anyway, the tablet should have a place to put the pen.

Price: The price needs to be competitive, I'm not going to state an exact price but under a $1000. If you have to sacrifice price for materials, I'm okay with that.

Misc: I'd like to see a massive accessory support; a docking station allowing you to hook up external monitor, speakers, mice, keyboard, more usb ports, wired Ethernet port, full sized HDMI port, AC power source, attached keyboard. I like the keyboard case, so port that over. Regular cases, screen protectors, 3rd party support would be nice too. 3g/4g option.

All in all, this would be the tablet to buy. But, it needs to be made of the greatest materials. You could have all the features in the world, but when it lacks durability and competitive pricing, no one wants to buy it. From the aluminum body to the last drop of glue, it should be premium quality. Also, this would obviously be a very high end tablet, it would also be a good idea to strip it of some of its features and use mid-range components and make another tablet targeting consumers at a price of iPad or lower. Think as this tablet as the thinkpad tablet and the mid-range as the idea-pad tablet. Keeping Android tablets is a must too. Just remember, the more options you have, the better. That is one are Apple is lacking. Options.

802.11n
p600

Re: Windows 8 Tablet

[ Edited ]

... A 128-256 GB SSD drive of the best quality. At least 4 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Display: Lenovo is often said to lack in displays. Well no longer. I would like to see a 10-12 inch display with a DPI of 264 or better. ...

Processor: Dual-Core i3 is what I'm leaning towards, but maybe i5.

Battery Life: Lenovo is known for great battery lives. I'd like to see a 12 hour or better battery life. If that is just not feasible at all (which may be the case) I could do with 10 hours.

Beyond doubt, Lenovo (and ODMs that will actually do it) already have plenty of the W8 tablet prototypes. I'm not sure what characteristics any of the tablets Lenovo will eventually unveil by the end of the year are going to be, but some conclusions are not hard to make based on the previous performance.

First of all, knowing Lenovo, screen resolution will be 1366x768, aka default Windows 8 "standard" resolution. Maybe in a few years we'll see more expensive high-res options, but initially the 1366x768 is what it's going to be. Beating the iPad3 in resolution is rather pointless: Apple doesn't really need this resolution either, just most pre-existing iPad/iPad2-oriented apps would look ugly otherwise (Android and Windows app developers are prepared to handle different screen resolutions).

Second of all, what is definitely not going to happen, is a tablet with with the current generation Core i3/i5, 4GB RAM, fast SSD, 12" screen and 10 hours of battery life, all that weighting less than 3 pounds:

1) With current consumer-oriented technologies, maximum battery size that can be put into a tablet of the size/weight comparable to TPT/iPad is about 45Wh (TPT is about 25). And even that requires dramatic space-saving measures, and highly customized and non-replaceable battery, ala iPad3 (which is just one big battery really).

2) Decent SSDs, lots of RAM etc. consume power. Around 1-1.5W when idle, more when active. Sandy Bridge CPU + chipset, while very efficient, eat at least a couple of watts when idle too. With completely idle, and super power optimized system, consuming in idle 3W, 40Wh battery will be out in less than 15 hours with screen OFF.

3) Screen eats a lion's share of the power. With 10" on medium-low brighness eating another 3W,  the best battery life possible drops to around 6-7 hours (with CPU idle most of the time). 12" screen is 1.5x the surface the 10", so at least 1.5x the energy consumption, so with such screen size it will be 4-5.

And these are optimistic figures. They seem about right, as Apple Mac Book Air, with mere 1.4Ghz CPU, 35Wh battery and 11" screen, manages 5 hours or less. Samsung 7 Slate is in the same ballpark too.

So, even if the next generation of Intel CPUs is dramatically better in idle consumption than Sandy bridge, 7-8 hours is what we'll get with  10-11" tablets, with normal PC-grade hardware, if the weight of the device is 2 pounds or less. And, more realistically, 5-7 hours of normal use (w/o extreme measures, such as min.brighness etc). Which is, frankly, quite sufficient for many people.

Paper Tape
WolfHeart704

Then what would you suggest to keep battery at 7-8 hours?
802.11n
p600

WolfHeart704 wrote:
Then what would you suggest to keep battery at 7-8 hours?

An extra battery. Or a tablet that weights 2+ pounds. Or, settle down for slower processor, like the upcoming Intel Clover Tail CPU ( http://liliputing.com/2012/04/intel-outlines-guidelines-for-low-powerwindows-8-tablets.html ).

Paper Tape
WolfHeart704

So like a extra battery in the keyboard case. Or, as you said, a heavier tablet. With Windows 8 capable of running legacy apps (x86 architecture) I thought a more powerful processor would be necessary, but maybe not. (Like I said, I'm not knowledgeable in the techy side.)