Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
mrcase
Accepted Solution

RD240 how loud is it?

Hi!

I´m thinking about buying 2 RD240 Servers for our company!

I just would like to know how noisy those things are since I´ve just returned 2 HP DL180 server because they were way too loud.

cheers

martin

Retired Employee
mkaelberer

Betreff: RD240 how loud is it?

Hi,

RD240 has 52db idle mode and 60db work mode.

BTW: the tower servers TS200v (24db) and TD230 (30db) are much more silent, as they have to stand in the office in many times...

MK

Paper Tape
lowblazah

I just got one for our new SBS server and to be honest its obnoxiously loud.

community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]

rack mount servers typically are obnoxiously loud due to the volume of air they need to move through the chassis for proper component cooling.   many 1U/2U heatsinks are passive and rely on the system fans to move air through them to cool the CPUs.

on top of that, rack servers are intended to be mounted in a dedicated rack, many times inside a dedicated closet or server farm environment rather than an office environment as mkaelbarer points out.

honestly, i've not yet encountered a quiet rack server.   52db is rather quiet for a rack though (all things considered).

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Lenovo Support Partner
Soundlab

At first, the server sounds as if a jet is powering up, but after a few seconds, the machine is very quiet.  I would recommend it.   I have 2 of them in my server room and they are rarely noticed.  Take care.