Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
tegoeb

Advice on purchasing SATA Drive for Thinkserver TS 130

Hi Folks,

My Current server has 500GB.  Looking to add and additonal 500GB, based on the product specs, this is the p/n:

P/N 67Y2613 ThinkServer 500GB 7.2K 3.5 Enterprise SATA Hard Drive

what's the best place to buy online?.  Can I get any SATA drive?

Thanks,

Edwin

Serial Port
jessica_moyer

Re: Advice on purchasing SATA Drive for Thinkserver TS 130

They recommend you buy the Lenovo SKU, though you can get it slightly cheaper elsewhere. The issue is warranty.

Are you adding it as a mirror or a second drive volume?

community supermod
erik

i wouldn't consider the warranty an issue per se, more a choice.   it's the owner's choice between having lenovo cover hardware under warranty or the drive's manufacturer.   many companies and IT departments require the level of service and support offered by the PC manufacturer where others can get by supporting components on their own.   again, it's a choice.

my personal advice would be to choose whichever option suits your needs best.   if it's an aftermarket drive, that's ok.

jessica asked a similar question recently and you might find the discussion helpful.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Serial Port
jessica_moyer

Erik, I think you are midreading my post.

The "issue" at hand when buying a Lenovo rebranded drive versus a 3rd party drive is solely warranty. This is the case with every major vendor I have bought from for 10 years (Dell, HP, Fujitsu, IBM, etc).

So if the "issue" isn't warranty I would recommend an E3 drive as a secondary drive. If you are planning to use RAID 1 it would be best to get the same spec drive, and it is probably easiest to just source it from Lenovo.

I ordered a couple 1TB constellation drives to compare against a couple 1TB Lenovo branded drives. When I get some bench mark results I will post them back. I am specifcally researching small servers for virtualization to support my company's managed middleware solution. Dell has caused us so much grief that we are looking at Intel server systems and Lenovo/IBM to see what the best option is.

community supermod
erik

if i misunderstood then i apologize.   to me, warranty still seems a choice rather than an issue.   i personally choose to use aftermarket drives in my systems.

regarding benchmarks, lenovo drives come with custom firmware but won't benchmark any different than their equivalent retail drives.   this assumes equivalent model numbers are compared.

i used to use 1TB seagate constellation ES and ES.2 in my thinkstations but recently dumped them due to noise and heat.   they're great drives but not something i'd recommend to anyone looking for <25db acoustics.   in servers that's typically not the main concern.

these days i only recommend SSDs for VMs if budget allows.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30