Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
mikelaverick
Accepted Solution

ESX4i doesn't see the RAID Controller Card

I'm installing both ESX4 and ESXi4. Whereas ESX sess the RAID controller card, ESXi4 does not. I was wondering if there was solution to this?

From memory I don't recall ESXi4 supporting the adding of additional drivers (unlike the installer of ESX4) but I wondered if I moved up to ESX4i U1 that would help. Or is just 'not supported'?

Regards

Mike Laverick

www.rtfm-ed.co.uk

Paper Tape
DanStone

Re: ESX4i doesn't see the RAID Controller Card

Hi Mike,

I have the exact problem only I'm using ESX version 4.  Do you know what build version of ESX your using?  Not tried ESXi as yet but I'm struggling to find any support on the subject.  I'm also used to the Proliants which appear to be much easier to configure. Sure theres a simple explanation for this it does say they support ESX4 4i including update 1. 

Regards,

Daniel Stone.

Blue Screen Again
mikelaverick

My issue was resolved by switching from ESXi 4.0 to ESXi 4.0 Update 1..... which includes an update driver...

I did manage to ESXi to run from a USB stick on servers, but found the Standby and DPM mode didn't work properley. Whilst it would suspend the ESX box fine, the machine seemed to loose its boot settings and just PXE boot - regardless of what I did with the BIOS...

I found install ESX4i U1 to the physical disk was more reliable...

Regards

Mike

Paper Tape
DanStone

Thanks Mike,

I'm struggling to get the ESX4 to see the controller. I think I'll double check the version I'm using as I can't find any drive on the Lenovo site for the controller. Hmm strange problem with DPM I'll have to give it a whirl.

Right think I'll dig out another version make sure its update one.  Keep up the good work on RTFM btw.

Best  Regards

Dan

Paper Tape
DanStone

Same issues as your's just required Update one of ESX 4.

Excellent, let the fun begin.

Best Regards,

Dan

Paper Tape
DanStone

Hi Mike, With regards to the DPM problem there is additional Wake on lan boot settings (WOL) in the bios. Remove everything but the hdd and everything works fine.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Dan

Blue Screen Again
mikelaverick

Yup. I've managed to get DPM working with ESXi/ESX installed to the HDD - using both WOL and the BMC options in vSphere4. The thing I was struggling with is running ESXi from a USB stick either internally or externally. vSphere correctly standbys and powers on the server....BUT... loose the boot settings to boot from the USB stick. If you use the F keystroke to manual force a boot to the USB stick...

Hence I opted for the ESXi installed to HDD because it seemed more reliable...

Regards

Mike

Lenovo Staff
solar

Are you able not only to see RAID controller but also to manage RAID arrays? Setup, spare management etc. pls?

thanks

Jan Solar
Product Marketing
(not a technical support)
http://blog.lenovo.com/author/jsolar/
Blue Screen Again
mikelaverick

All resolved. I need ESX 4i Update 1 for the controller to be found. And I used the boot CD to initalize the disk. So problem solved. :-D

Regards

Mike

Fanfold Paper
Heathy65

Just a quick message for anyone who's interested.

I have my TS200 running ESXi 4.1.0 (260247) and the M1015 RAID card is recognised fine (and ESXi even reports a RAID faiure when it happens:smileytongue:)

Cheers Ian