Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
neilsen

Help installing Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on TS200v

Just picked up a TS200v (here is where I bought it from).  I just got it and have been trying to install Windows Server 2003 Enterprise with no luck. 

Setup finishes the intial copying of files then it says "Setup is starting Windows" on the lower right and then it just hangs there.  I've tried playing around with some things in the BIOS but still not luck.

Anyone manage to get this OS to install?  Trying to figure out if I'm going to have to return this thing :smileymad:

Thank you!

community supermod
erik

Re: Help installing Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on TS200v

welcome to the forum!

you might try the following two XP installation guides for the ThinkStation.   the hardware is relatively similar and the same steps one would use for XP would apply to 2003 or 2003 R2.   having installed 2003 on many ThinkPads myself, i can attest to the processes.   simply replace the suggested chipset and storage controller drivers with ones for the TS200v and you should be off to a great start.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/SF10-D0001.html

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70191.html

drivers for your TS200v can be found here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-75120.html

you'll likely need to get the intel matrix storage driver and chipset driver "F6 install" packages direct from intel.   these will need to be loaded at the OS installation's F6 prompt.

hopefully that gets you started.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 137

Re: Help installing Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on TS200v

[ Edited ]

Hello,

As Erik noted, it sounds like the SATA RAID disk drivers need to be provided during the operating system installation since they are not on the Windows Server 2003 CD (too new, I assume).  They can be "injected" into the operating system installation by pressing the F6 key at the beginning of the operating system installation processes to load them from a floppy diskette.

I did a quick search on Lenovo's support web site and found the drivers available for download here in a self-extracting .EXE file. The accompanying text file at http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkservers/ta1rau01sr17.txt gives instructions on which files need to be copied to a floppy diskette to complete the installation, which I will paraphrase:

1. Launch ta1rau01sr17.exe (Double-click or via command-line)
	2. Launching the executable will extract the package and run the install.
	3. To invoke the install silently, run the following command from the command-line:

ta1rau01sr17.exe /SILENT

4. To install via the F6 method during OS installation, please use the files from the folder located in the following location: <Local Disk>\DRIVERS\RAID\TA1RAU01SR17\F6Driver

Then Create a floppy* containing the following files in the root directory:
		    iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat,
		    iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat,
		    iaStor.sys, TxtSetup.oem

If the ThinkServer TS200v does not have a built-in floppy diskette drive, you should be able to use one plugged in via a USB port.  Because Windows Server 2003 is an older operating system, it only supports loading mass storage (SATA, SCSI, RAID, and so forth) controller drivers from floppy diskette.  Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 let you load them from alternate locations at installation time like a USB flash drive or CD-R disc.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество