Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
sbabcock
Accepted Solution

RAID and 3TB Drives

The TD230 recognizes my 2 X 3TB drives when the SATA is configured in Enhanced mode.

When I switch the SATA mode to SW and then go into the SRT utility to create the RAID, it only recognizes the drives as 780GB

The EFI is at the latest version posted on the site but I supsect that it's the Embedded Server RAID Technology II software that is out of date - A.09.08061549I (April, 2010)

Is there an update available to fix this ?

Thanks,

Steve

Lenovo Employee
jamesconner

Re: RAID and 3TB Drives

There is not an update to fix this. You are also using non-Lenovo 3TB drives. Your configuration is a non-supported and non-functioning configuration with Lenovo.

Fanfold Paper
sbabcock

First of all - Lenovo does not 3TB drives at all so using 3rd party products was the only choice we had.

I resolved this by installing the LENOVO RAID adapter - works flawlessly with the 3TB drives (mirrored)

Other server systems with the same Intel chipset do support 3TB configurations so I'm surpirsed that Lenovo hasn't updated their firmware to support larger drives

Steve

Lenovo Employee
jamesconner

Steve - You are correct. Lenovo does not offer 3TB drives. By using this configuration, you basically have killed your warranty for OS, RAID or other related issues.

However, I am glad to hear you managed to get this working. What is your MTM and which RAID Controller did you use to get this working? Also, what OS are you using and what steps did you use for GPT partitioning?

Fanfold Paper
sbabcock

I used the LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I SATA3/SAS - very low end but it works - may upgrade it to a more robust LSI RAID card later if necessary

Have the system running VMWare ESXi 5

Steve

Lenovo Employee
jamesconner

Great to hear! Good Luck with your config! The 9260-8i may be what you want to step to next but no need at the moment if everything seems to be working as you need.