Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
accal
Accepted Solution

RDX Drive?

Hi,

I am in the process of quoting a replacement server for a customer.  I'm curious to know if anyone else has implemented  a Lenovo's RDX and how they like it.

Thanks!

Al

community supermod
erik

Re: RDX Drive?

i've used RDX before with great luck.   rather than using the included backup software, i used windows server backup that's built into 2008 R2.   it works well with a single backup disk but doesn't play as nicely if you rotate between backup media.

about my only complaint is the interface speed since lenovo's particular RDX drive is USB.   but, when running a backup overnight you probably don't need more than ~30MB/s transfer speed.   you can get SATA versions from other vendors but they're harder to find and in my opinion not worth the price premium unless you absolutely need quicker backups.

overall, i'd recommend RDX and prefer it over DAT.   RDX is simple, reliable, easy to manage, and works very well.   i can only say about half of that about tape backup since reliability is about its only strong suit.

hope that helps a bit.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Serial Port
accal

Hi Erik,

Thanks for sharing your experience with RDX.  Yes, it does help.  

Did you not like the Lenovo software?  

We primarily use Retrospect for Windows.  If the Lenovo software works well, we can save our customer some $$ by using that instead.

I don't think I'd be too worried about backup speed since it does run at night. As long as the backup finishes before my customers get in in the morning, it's fine.   There's only about 60-70gb that it has to backup.  I have them doing a monthly archive using NTBackup to an ext. USB HD on their 7 year old Win2000 server. That takes about 2 hrs.

Currently they have an IDE Iomega REV drive.  It has been working very well for them over the years, however I don't think it's going to make it to the new server.

In our experience, tape drives can be highly problematic.  We've had really good luck with the Sony AIT drives, but Sony stopped making them.

I now just need to decide: Lenovo RDX or Retrospect to ext. USB HDs.

Thanks for your input!

Al

community supermod
erik

al - i never actually used the included software.   my intent was to test the hardware with windows server backup since it's a known solution for me.   from what i know of the lenovo software, it's probably better overall and likely easier to use.

from your description it sounds like lenovo RDX would be a great way to go.   if your users are inexperienced in backups or want something they don't have to think much about (if at all) then RDX is hard to beat.   in fact, it would be an easy transition from the REV drive + retrospect and closely mirror their current pattern of backup.   that always helps.

it's been ages since i last used NTbackup under advanced server 2000.   talk about bringing back some memories! :smileyvery-happy:

anyway, it sounds like you're on the right path with your clients.   if you have any other questions, definitely feel free to post.

good luck!

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Serial Port
accal

Yes, it needs to be as simple as possible.  Hey, maybe Ron Popeil has a backup that we can "Set it and Forget it" :smileytongue:

We really drive home the importance of checking the backup to make sure 1) it actually ran 2) and verify it was a good backup.  I can't tell you the number of times we ask customers "Have you been checking your backup log?"  Only to find out at restore time they haven't been getting good backups for X number of months.  Yes,  much weeping and gnashing of teeth soon follows.

Ahh yes, it like a time machine here.  As of 1-2 months ago we have one customer that was [and may still be] running on Netware 3.2 on the original hardware from 1998. The company was bought out, so I don't know what they using now.

Thanks for your wisdom!

Al