Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
chris72a
Accepted Solution

TD100 Fan noise

Hi All, just installing our first TD100, (reseller), I just have a question regarding the noise levels of the fans and if there is anyway to quiten them, it seems they are running full speed constantly.  I know on some of the IBM's their is an option for quiet mode but can't find anything in the TD100 Bios settings.  I think the noise is way too loud for an office enviroment without a dedicated server room.  So does anyone know if there is anyway of making this quieter, the literature for the TD100 says it is quiet and efficient..

Cheers

Chris.

community supermod
erik

Re: TD100 Fan noise

welcome to the forum!

according to the TD100 user guide, the BIOS does not have an option for lower fan speeds.   being a server, i don't imagine anyone thought it would be installed within an office environment.

acoustical specs on the TD100 are 56 db idle and 60 db operating -- over twice what a ThinkStation puts out in sound power.   given that, i would highly recommend installing these systems in dedicated server rooms whenever possible.   is moving the server an option for you or won't your office environment accommodate this?

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Ctrl-Alt-Del
chris72a

Thanks Erik, Most of our clients are generally businesses with 10-25 users the bigger ones have server rooms but the majority don't, but the server usually sits in the corner somewhere etc..  I thought there would be some sort of throttling utility available I will keep looking and If I find something will post back just in case anyone else requires it.

Cheers

Chris.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
chris72a

this possibly couldn't be right, I have installed a lot of servers over the past 10 or so years, this is the noisiest thing I have ever heard, I currently have 2 of the fans pulled and the people next door can still hear it, I have checked latest bios, settings etc, the fans are spinning at 100% all of the time I would have thought that they throttled down, feeling inside is like an iceberg.  I really hope that there is something wrong with this, I wouldn;t sell these even to people that have a dedicated server room.  It is that noisy.

Cheers

Chris.

community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]

how many TD100 systems have you deployed so far?   is this an isolated, excessively-loud system or have you encountered this across multiple TD100 or ThinkServer systems?

it's generally accepted that 60 db is similar to normal conversation.   if you find your TD100 to exceed this sound power considerably, i would call lenovo server support and open a case.   without being in the same room as the server, seeing its environment, and hearing it myself, it's difficult to say whether your system is acting normal or exceeding specifications.

how is this system configured?   does it have a lot of high-RPM hard drives (ie; 15K SAS drives)?

(edit: fixed typo)

Message Edited by erik on 05-11-2009 10:56 AM

Ctrl-Alt-Del
chris72a

[ Edited ]

Thanks Erik, the server has 2*500gb 7200rpm sata drives in raid 1, single xeon 5405, this is the first TD100 we have deployed but we have done several TS100's with no problems.  I will log a call with Lenovo and see what they say.

Cheers

Chris.

Just to add think of your radio on about 7-8 thats the noise it is producing, definately not normal conversation.

Message Edited by chris72a on 05-11-2009 04:03 PM
community supermod
erik

given what you've described, your TD100 sounds like it's abnormally loud -- no pun intended. :smileywink:   give lenovo server support a call and keep us posted on the results.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
chris72a

Hi Erik and Everyone just to let you know I spoke with Lenovo this morning, the problem was with the fan cage not being seated correctly, took a couple of goes to seat it properly, I found by clipping the top in first then the bottom it seated properly.  I have a normal sounding server now all is good.  I also cannot comment Highly enough about the level of Support provided.  'Paul' was fantastic and really knew what he was talking about.

Cheers

Chris.

community supermod
erik

chris,

glad to see you found the problem and a resolution! :smileyhappy:   was the fan cage installed incorrectly from the factory or did someone play with it after it was received and not get it back in properly?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
chris72a

Hi Erik, it was like that from the first moment I switched it on, so either factory or in transit it has come loose.  But thanks to Paul at Lenovo has been sorted, I am very grateful.

Cheers

Chris.