Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Bronco

Undocumented beep sequence at start-up

Hi all,

a newly deployed TD230 (1029-12G) entertains us with an undocumented beep sequence. The sequence is as follows:

Two short, two long and a strange "double-beep".

POST takes about 1 minute and shows no errors. During POST the LEDs "diagnostic", "status" and "system ID" flash for a few moments. Afterwards only the 5VSB LED is on. Entering setup or ESRT2 is sluggish. 

I checked the cabling several times and made sure the single 4GB RAM module is socketed tightly. Of course the board is deployed with only one Xeon E5507 CPU. The system is also equipped with 4 x 1TB Hitachi HDs (provided by Lenovo).

A system diagnostic CD (grml 2010.12) took unusually long to boot but behaved well once booted and did not find any errors. 

Furthermore, the system announces three MACs, but only two are documented on the hardware. 

Does any of you have information with regards to the undocumented beep sequence and/or the third MAC?

Regards

What's DOS?
Bronco

Re: Undocumented beep sequence at start-up

Hi all,

some more information. I reset the BIOS (again) and everything stays the same, but the system now only reports two MACs.

Also, we are coming to the point where replacement is cheaper than trouble-shooting.  I guess, the machine will be returned and replaced.

Regards

What's DOS?
trionet

Re: Undocumented beep sequence at start-up

Beepings are normal according to Lenovo tech said, each beeps meant for one USB connection. There's no need to return your server.