Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
gpsd
Accepted Solution

130w TDP Xeon processors and the C20 C20x

Was just thinking about whether the heatsink fans that come standard (including the lower profile cpu 2 heatsink fan, are adequate for 130w processors? The parts list seems to suggest the fans can only handle 95w processors, but the x5680 and x5690 are 130w and listed as compatible with the C20 and C20x. Does anyone know officially?

erik

Re: 130w TDP Xeon processors and the C20 C20x

[ Edited ]

heatsinks for the 130W CPUs are vastly different.   the improved design is required for the additional thermal output.

the FRU numbers are 41R5730 for CPU1 and 41R5732 for CPU2.

here are the heatsinks from my C20:

1D3X4471_small.jpg

edit:  here are the standard 95W fansinks:

1D3X4475_small.jpg

i've been meaning to write a KB article about this but haven't found made the time.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Punch Card
gpsd

Darn it - I have the bottom two. Not sure why they would not have just made 130w versions as standard (especially considering those are the versions in the C20 whitepaper). So I guess those would need to be upgraded should I ever need to upgrade the CPUs (not now, everything is great with the X5650s.

erik

no arguments there.   the only problem is cost.   raising per-unit pricing by $25~100 (depending on config) just to include better heatsinks can be a deal-breaker on many purchases.

however, i wouldn't mind seeing options during purchasing to upgrade heatsinks, add a second heatsink, and/or add/include RDIMM fans.   while this stuff can be purchased through the parts department, having this stuff in-hand the moment a unit is delivered could be beneficial to those who want to handle their own CPU/memory upgrades.

psuturtle
Topics: 7
Kudos: 143
Solutions: 92

Erik is dead on here.  Two factors drove the decision to not use a single heatsink TDP across the board:

-cost

-attach rates for 130W CPUs

There is a very low attach rate of 130W CPUs in C20.  And the front heatsink required for a 130W in C20 is crazy expensive (very custom design that vendors really can't use anywhere else but in that specific system).

That's an interesting point you bring up as well Erik about "pre-ordering" specific parts for upgrades.  It wouldn't be easy to pull off given how our internal systems are set up, but it's something I can bring up with the options team.  This could be an easy way for them to get higher attach rates on some options that normally wouldn't be big sellers.

Punch Card
gpsd

It must be an extremely low attach rate (or they can't keep up with demand, but I suspect the former). I tried ordering these heatsinks and this is the response I received:

"We have received your IBM web order and we are sorry to inform you that the part number 41R5730 is currently on back-order due to lack of stock. ETA is for the first week of February.

Part number 41R5732 is not in stock with no available ETA."

Not sure if there is an alternative source for these, but if anyone knows, I would be wiling to check it out.

erik

[ Edited ]

call them directly at 800-388-7080 (options 2:1:1:1) and inquire.   the website isn't always correct.

edit:  nevermind.   it's OOS with no ETA. :smileysad:

psuturtle
Topics: 7
Kudos: 143
Solutions: 92

Wow...early February?  That sucks.  Fansinks tend to have a long lead time, so I'm sure that's part of the reason.

From a qualification side, I know we only qualified a single source for that fansink.  That's kind of unusual too as we are normally required to keep a certain number of each part on hand for FRU stock as far as I know.  They might not be allowing actual FRU (meant for field replacements) to be used to fulfill other orders.

I'd keep checking in on it.  I can ask around here and see if we can figure out what the delay is.

Punch Card
gpsd

Yeah, real bummer.

And this was the email I received from their order processing folks.

The lower profile heatsink has no eta at all - could that mean no more will be coming?

Punch Card
gpsd

[ Edited ]

Turns out IBM Canada has them both in stock. The only catch - they each are priced 50% higher and then there is 13%  sales tax on top.

As an aside, Erik, any idea what purpose the black foam pieces on the low profile heatsink serve?