Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
TimberCAD
Accepted Solution

Autocad handler

[ Edited ]

Hi all. Looking to buy a workstation to run Autocad 2012 with some 3D work. I have done some research, and have come up with this customized Lenovo. What do you guys think? Should I change anything? $1673. 

Intel Xeon W3550 Processor (3.06GHz 1066MHz 8MB L2)
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64
Tower 5x6 Mechanical with Intel 36S Motherboard
6GB ECC DDR3 PC3-10600 SDRAM (2GBx3 uDIMMS)
NVIDIA Quadro NVS300 (512MB, DMS59 to DVI+DVI)
500GB SATA 3.5" Hard Drive - 7200 rpm
Lenovo 16x DVD +/- RW Dual Layer (Windows 7)
Intergrated Ethernet 10/100/1000

(mod edit: fixed external links and formatting)

community supermod
erik

Re: Autocad handler

welcome to the forum!

that S20 config should be fine for autoCAD.   you'd be better served with a different graphics card for 3D though, especially if you're working with autodesk inventor, maya, or 3dsmax.   the NVS line is intended primarily for 2D work and probably won't fare well in 3D modeling.   a quadro 2000 or 4000 would be a safer bet.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Paper Tape
TimberCAD

Thanks for the reply erik!  We had a computer built for me 2 years ago.  It has been a nightmare.  Never worked great, crashed a couple of times a week.  Non ECC memory.  They built it with a motherboard that they thought could handle 8GB of memory, but found out later that 4GB was the max.  

My point is, we want a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito this time.

community supermod
erik

i use autoCAD 2012 and inventor pro 2012 myself with a C20 and have yet to truly stress the system.   rendering or ray tracing in inventor is about the only time i fully leverage my X5675 and 24GB.   the rest is pushed off on the GPU when rotating models in the viewport while sketching or modeling.   even then, you really don't need a high-end GPU if effects are turned off (realistic shading, ground shadows, etc).

but, i would still go with a Q2000 over the NVS300 for your use.   it's not much more and would pay for itself rather quickly.   you won't outgrow it as quickly or kick yourself for buying a lesser GPU.   a Q600 would work as well if budget is a concern.   i've used one in inventor and it's surprisingly capable with relatively complex models on a 30" display.

i used to build computers way back in the day and know exactly what you mean about support nightmares.   even though each individual component might be supported under warranty, the logistics of actually replacing failed components is an absolute chore and can take weeks.   at least with a thinkstation you'll have replacement parts or a service technician the next business day under most circumstances.   plus, you can extend your warranty up to a total of 5 years.   on top of that, we have a forum. :smileyvery-happy:

if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30