Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
wesleyyin
Accepted Solution

Can E30 take a graphic card with a Dual-Slot width?

Hi. I have an nVidia GTX 480, which is 10.5 inches (267 mm)  long and dual-slot wide. I am thinking of buying an E30 and a 800-watt PSU. What I am not so sure is whether this GTX 480 will fit in.

community supermod
erik

Re: Can E30 take a graphic card with a Dual-Slot width?

if it did fit then it would be close.   the GTX 480 runs VERY hot and would overheat in an E30 chassis.   the E30 isn't designed with that much airflow in mind.   it's meant for a quadro 600 or 2000/2000D, not a full-on gaming card.

you can get an idea of what the E30 looks like inside from this photo of a T200v: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Z9xfilAxuX1QFw_pnGE4mw

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Token Ring
wesleyyin

Erik. Thanks for the suggestion. We will probably give it a try. If it gets too hot, we will then put it in a D20 (with slower CPUs).

Fanfold Paper
arpadkal

Bigger problem you'll have is reaching the (SATA)N connectors.   You will need to seat all of your ram first (any subsequent ram upgrades will require you to pull the card first.

The sata connectors are in the worst possible location.   If your card is a doube wide and has a huge heat sink it will cover your sata III connectors.  You will need VERY low profile 90 degree sata cable, (even then it will be very tight) and if you want to use two drives on SATA III you will need to find one cable that points down and one that points up. (if that makes sense) The sata connectors are facing the same direction so you won't be able to jam two sata connectors on unless they turn that 90 degrees in opposite directions.