Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
jwooden
Accepted Solution

Cost of SATA HDs ordered with S10? RAID configuration cost?

I'm considering buying an S10. I notice there is a charge for setting up the RAID configuration.

Is that just a "service charge"? I can change the RAID configuration later if I need to do so correct?

Also I note that a 500Gb 7200 RPM SATA drive lists at $205. At NewEgg for example the 500Gb 7200RPM units rated at 3Gb/s transfer speed are $60 - $90 each depending on details (cache size etc...). Am I missing something that causes the ones shipped with the system to be so much more expensive? 

Thanks,

Jim

community supermod
erik

Re: Cost of SATA HDs ordered with S10? RAID configuration cost?

there is a nominal charge (~$15) to set up a RAID array because it takes extra time.   time is money and employees don't work for free. :smileywink:

yes, you may configure RAID on your own.   instructions can be found in the thinkstation hardware maintenance manual.

you may purchase your own drives if you feel this is the best option.   third-party drives will not be covered under the on-site warranty and you will be responsible if you have any problems with them or their setup.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

SCSI Port
jwooden

Thanks Erik!

The setup charge makes fine sense to me, I just wanted to be sure I was not overlooking something.

Likewise, with regard to the drives I thought there might be a swap-frame or mounting brackets involved or something similar.

On a slightly different but related topic:

Do you know how the RAID controller handles an unmatched drive as an array element?

Say I set up a RAID 5 array with three 500Mb drives, and then down the road 5 years from now one fails and I can not find a like replacment. Will the controller accept a larger drive or one with different mapping parameters if for example I substituted a 1TB drive for the failed 500Mb unit... (in 5 years I expect a 1TB drive would cost maybe $20?  :smileyvery-happy:)

JIm

community supermod
erik

mounting brackets will be included in the S10.   there will be blank, plastic "dummy" drives installed in any unpopulated drive bay to help with air velocity.   attached to these dummy drives will be the drive caddies that you need to install a drive.

RAID 5 requires all five drives to be the same or larger than the smallest drive size in the array.   if you install a 1TB drive into a RAID 5 array comprised of three 500GB drives then only 500GB of the 1TB drive will be used.   otherwise, there wouldn't be any redundancy on the second half of the 1TB drive.   hopefully that explanation makes sense. :smileywink:

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

SCSI Port
jwooden

[ Edited ]

Erik:

Yup! Makes sense. I have seen some dumber, errr I mean "less advanced"  :smileyvery-happy:  RAID cards that would only accept a "rebuild" drive for an array that was of identical size and type, so that's good. I  work mostly with the xSeries boxes and was not sure which features were available in the S/D series. 

With the xSeries boxes we usually run three drives in RAID 5 yeilding a useable array capacity of (2 * <size of drive>).

The xSeries will accept, for example, a 72Gb drive as a replacement in an array that was originally built from 36Gb drives, so it sounds like all the stuff I care about does trickle down to the S & D boxes!

Thanks for your time!

Jim

Message Edited by jwooden on 12-17-2008 07:25 AM