Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
remydrh
Accepted Solution

D10 power is flakey

I have a D10 6427CTO, all original parts except for added hard drives and RAM.

Recently (past 2 days) the power has been flakey. It will begin with the self test fan and then switch off. Switch back on. . .test fans, then off. Sometimes very quickly, sometimes slower. Never reaches POST.

Looking at the lights on the power supply I notice the green light goes on and off. I tried a different outlet. Same problem.

Once in awhile. . .it works. I have jiggled the power cable to see if there's a short but that doesn't seem to make it better or worse.

For now it's on. And it's staying on *crosses fingers/holds breath* Anyone have a suggestion or previous experience with this scenario? I will try a new cord tomorrow but a replacement power supply is a different animal. I can't seem to find a link for the replacement part, just manuals and questions about video cards. . . 

erik

Re: D10 power is flakey

welcome to the forum!

do you have your system plugged into a UPS for a stable power source or is it simply plugged directly into the wall?

assuming your PSU is going bad, if your D10 is still under warranty then you can call support at 800-426-7378.   if warranty has expired then you'll need to purchase parts on your own.

the side of your power supply should have a white decal with a FRU number on it.   this will either be 41A9764 or 41A9709.   the difference is that the first number uses a standard C13 power plug and the second uses a C19 plug as found on older rackmount servers.   a photo of the C19 PSU can be seen here.   these PSUs are otherwise interchangeable, only differing in the plug style used.   if you have a C19 plug and prefer a C13, now would be the time to switch.

to order parts, you can either search online for one of the above FRU numbers or order direct from IBM here.   you may also call IBM parts at 800-388-7080 (options 2:1:1:1).

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Paper Tape
remydrh

Thanks for the reply.

I plug in directly to a power strip. But I also tried directly into a wall, another wall, and another power strip.  Same symptoms.

Since the green light goes in and out I was wondering if that's a symptom of the power supply or the cable having a short. I can't find a cable to replace it easily it seems (C19) The catch is, if I can get it to turn on, it seems to stay on (24-48 hours) without trouble even under heavy load (rendering). So that makes me wonder if it is the switch itself but everything seems to be fine physically.

It's been out of warranty for 4 months, go figure!

erik

it does sound like a failing PSU.   however, you might try moving the power cable around while the system is running to see if it's broken inside.

even though rendering is CPU intensive, it probably isn't pulling that much wattage at the wall.   on a good day with two E5450s, 4 x 4GB FBDIMMs, an FX 4800, two 15k SAS drives, two 7200 RPM SAS drives, an SSD, and two DVD-R drives, the most i ever got my D10 to pull was around 450W at the wall while rendering or ray tracing.   that's still half of the 1000W rating and not very stressful as far as the PSU is concerned.

what hardware do you have installed in your system?   have you tested various components to make sure it's not an add-on device causing the hard shutdown?   it's a remote chance but one to test anyway before throwing a new PSU at it.

Paper Tape
remydrh

It's all original hardware except another 8GB RAM a new SSD and 2 new 1.5TB drives.

It used to just have a hard time starting, but today it got all the way into windows for about 10 minutes and turned off. *click*

This started about a month after a failed attempt to run a GTX 580. Despite the required wattage, it wouldn't boot (orange light on PS). Possibly something gave out during that time.

Hopefully a refurbed PSU is fine because $700 is not in the budget anytime soon. . . Think I saw one for just under $300

Thanks for the help! I just want to wait on upgrading until Ivy Bridge and Kepler are out. :-)

erik

the GTX 580 is a power-hungry card.   depending on how you bridged power to the 8-pin PCIe power socket, something might have been damaged in the process.   the D10 PSU was never intended for 6+8 pin GPUs.

hopefully the wait for kepler isn't too long.   i've read various sources saying that the release pattern will be bottom to top this time around.   i don't know if that will affect the high-end quadros though.   time will tell.

Paper Tape
remydrh

Quadros may be last depending on the yield they get and relative demand.

I actually work with Nvidia A.R.C. time to time since where I work is a direct partner. Hence the need for a workstation and a decent power supply.

Curious that these used to ship with Teslas compute 1.1 and now you basically can't plug a **bleep** thing in them because of the freaky power supply. I would hope by now that places learned not to specialize too much on these things. Maintenance costs are making most of us just build our own.

Not a single one of the 115 workstations at work are branded machines.

erik

well, in all fairness, the D10's PSU was never intended to be used with gaming/desktop GPUs.   the GTX 580 was released about two years after the D10.   very few modern desktop GPUs work well with older PSUs regardless of being a home-built desktop or pre-built workstation.

conversely, the S20, D20, C20, and C20x all have provisions for 8+6-pin PCIe power and a much better chance of running newer gaming GPUs.   they still aren't officially qualified or supported by any means but that's to be expected from any name-brand workstation manufacturer.   gaming hardware simply wasn't meant to do "work"—at least not as shipped from the factory.

fwiw, i currently have an underclocked/undervolted GTX 570 sitting in my C20 to handle rendering and visualization since almost all of my heavy apps use directX instead of openGL.   so far it's been no worse than any of my quadros in terms of stability save for running out of VRAM on occasion.   at factory clocks/voltages the thing was a nightmare and crashed quite often.

Paper Tape
remydrh

I don't mind the GPU part as much, it's the fact that I can't get a power supply with a 10 pin connector for the mother board because it's basically proprietary. Forcing me to grab a Lenovo part for an out of warranty machine when $150 on a 1000 watt good quality consumer PSU would do fine. :smileymad:

Off topic: Dominick Spina is product manager for the Quadro group. He will probably post when Kepler Quadros are expected.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/author/dominick-spina/

psuturtle
Topics: 7
Kudos: 137
Solutions: 87

In fairness, it's not just us (Lenovo) that drove the use of the 10 pin connector.  Check out the appropriate Intel CRB, and you'll likely see the same connector.  There are reasons that connector was used, and most of them were Intel driven.  In hindsight, it was probably over-designed, but at the time, that wasn't a risk we were going to take.

That's not really a proprietary connector either.  The 10 pin connectors going to the board are all 12V and grounds if I recall correctly (don't have a D10 board handy to verify).  The more common 8 pin connectors consist of the same thing.  I'd venture to guess you could get an off the shelf PSU to work with the appropriate interposer cable.

Oh, and as a tease, I know exactly when Kepler cards are coming :smileyhappy: