Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
PSChild
Accepted Solution

D10 problems, CPU and BIOS

Hello

Last week I adeed 2 ram modules to my D10-6427, now the Ram settings are 6x2GB quimonda and 2x2GB super talent with same specs, setting as mainboard diagram, I didn´t notice nothing about problems and performance seems to be a little higher, (I really doesn't need more memory, but I like to have the 8 modules).

Recently I get surprise opening the task administrator and see only 4 CPU graphs like 1 Xeon working but the performance seems to be the same or very similar. I have tested some apps, Lenovo ThinkVantage, PC Properties and BIOS only shows 1 CPU.

I removed the modules added to test and boot, the D10 showed a running setup message with the Logo screen and I from that moment I could not start windows 7, or enter the BIOS with or without new RAM modules.

In the booting when shows hardware devices, the SAS HDD aren´t shown, only DVD and SSD.

I have tried to start with a BIOS CD, but the CD doen´t start.

D10 boots, Logo screen, hardware devices, show PXE ctrl+s, and Logo screen again.

I haven´t changed anything since Jan/Feb-2010 and D10 worked fine.

Thank you very much for your help.

community supermod
erik

Re: D10 problems, CPU and BIOS

install one FB-DIMM in slot 0 (refer to the chart on the access panel), reset the BIOS using the jumper (instructions), and see if that helps.   keep the system on just one memory module during testing to help eliminate variables.

if you still don't see the second CPU then you'll want to remove both CPUs and install each individually in socket 0 (labeled "CPU0" on the planar) to test for failure.   be sure to have a good thermal compound on hand.   shin-etsu X23-7783D is an excellent choice here.   if one of your CPUs has failed then you'll want to contact lenovo support if your system is under warranty.

keep us posted on your results.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

SCSI Port
PSChild

Thanks Erik.

I am going to do.

SCSI Port
PSChild

Thank you very much Erik

Reset BIOS -> Now I have access to BIOS and set time/date, etc... Windows starts. Thanks, (I was thinking about this solution but I was afraid with consecuences of doing something with know what to do)

CPUs-> While D10 boots shows 2 Xeon, and windows device manager show 8 CPU/cores, Task Admin shows only 4 graph/cores and CPUz has unable the option of change betwwen CPU, (I suppose CPUz only detect 1 CPU)

Any idea?

THANKS

SCSI Port
PSChild

... and must I update now thw BIOS?

Thanks, your help is much appreciated

SCSI Port
PSChild

Ok, I open the "msconfig" and without change anything when I close the windows with "Accept" button, Windows 7 ask me for reboot.

After reboot, Windows starts and shows 2 Xeon and 8 cores, PC properties and Task Admin, Everest and CPUz shows 2 CPUs too.

The RAM seems to works fine, 16 GB, ordered as diagram, (same as before problems started), but with last modules in 1 and 3 slots.

Thank you very much, I was very afraid of anything bad in my "loved" D10

SCSI Port
PSChild

Sorry

A last question, ThinkVantage Toolbox shows "BIOS: 2XKT31AUS". I suppose that this is the default version, am I wrong?

I have download "2xj931a", must I update?

Thanks again

community supermod
erik

excellent!   glad that worked.   resetting the BIOS tends to cure quite a few issues, especially ones caused when installing new hardware.

31A is the latest BIOS for the D10.   you've downloaded the correct version.   use the ISO version if possible as it's the safest method of flashing.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

SCSI Port
PSChild

I´ll do.

Please, let me express my thanks for your great help.

Your presence here it is a warranty of excellence and a tranquility for us.

Since I met the forums whenever I get the impression to have had successful in buying and I have much better help to my workstation as my previous Dell 

Regards, a grateful user.