Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
whitesp48843
Accepted Solution

D20 - 4284A13 Marvell RAID, Linux OS

I am trying to get RHEL5.4 to install and recogize my drives on a D20 (4284A13) ThinkStation. It seems that the RAID on the Marvell is causing an issue. I have 3 disk drives, 1 SATA and 2 SAS. I DO NOT have a RAID configured. I just want to install the OS on the SATA drive and mount the two SAS drives in the fstab file. When all of the drives are plugged into the "blue" SATA ports, the BIOS reports them with the Marvel controller but the OS only sees the SATA drive. I have tried  moving the SAS drives over to the black SATA ports. Whne booting, it seems that the Marvell controller no longer sees them for it's "RAID" but the OS doesn't see them either. How do I "turn on" the black SATA ports in the BIOS so that it lets the OS see the drives?

Paper Tape
whitesp48843

Re: D20 - 4284A13 Marvell RAID, Linux OS

Oops - this hard is NOT a 4284A13, it's M4158

community supermod
erik

welcome to the forum!

to confirm that the marvell controller is enabled, you'll find it in the BIOS under the 'Devices' tab > Marvell SATA/SAS controller.   this should be set to [Enabled] along with the option ROM scan directly below it.

you won't see any SAS drives in your OS without the marvell drivers installed.   for this i would recommend installing your SATA drive on a black socket and the SAS drives on the blue sockets.   once your OS is installed then you should be able to install the array.

at any time you should be able to configure the array using the ROM controller option at POST.   the key combination to access it if ctrl+M if memory serves.   full instructions can be found in the D20 HMM: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-72117

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Paper Tape
whitesp48843

I moved the ATA drive to a black port, left the 2 SAS drives connected to the blue ports. The BIOS sees the IDE drive on the black port and the Marvell COntroller withthe 2 SAS drives when it boots up. I re-installed RHEL5.7. The RHEL installation process ONLY sees the SATA drive during the install. I completed the installation, changed the boot order in the BIOS so it looks to the IDE SATA drive. It boots fine. I installed the Marvell SAS drivers from Lenovo. Seems to install, it changes a few things in the modprobe.conf and adds blacklists mvsas. D20 still sees the IDE ATA on boot and the 2 SAS drives connected to the Marvell controller BUT RHEL does NOT see the SAS drives. lsscsi only sees the SATA drive. What needs to be set for the OS to see these drives?

community supermod
erik

have you tried the marvell driver from lenovo?    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-72070

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Paper Tape
whitesp48843

Yes, it is installed. I *think* that I didn't have the cables plugged in all of the way as I disconnected and reconnected and a lsscsi now sees all of the drives.

Paper Tape
whitesp48843

I spoke too soon. It seems that if I plug in the SAS drives to the blue Marvell ports while the system is up and running, lsscsi see them, block device files are created, I can mount them and everything seems fine BUT on a reboot, the BIOS sees them but it doesn't transfer to RHEL for some reason. I can open up the box, plug them in again, and everything is fine. How can I make the OS see them during the boot process??