Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
nlathrop

Drive Killer...

I am going thru drives like there is no tomorrow.  Originally, the ThinkStation S20 (Xeon DC W3503 2.4Ghz 4GB/750 NVIDIA - P/N: 4157V8E) came with 3 @ 250 GB Seagates (RAID5). 

After 2 died  - at the same time - only weeks after it had been put in service, I switched to 1 TB Seagate drives (Barracuda 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive-ST310005N1A1AS-RK) thinking that there could be a bad 250 GB batch...  I am on my 3rd one of those.  Does anybody have any ideas?

Machine is on a APC UPS and on a 1 GB network otherwise.

Thanks,

Nelson

Lenovo Staff
solar

Re: Drive Killer...

Hello

do you have HDD fan installed?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-72087

It is normally not supplied if you purchased machine which originally comes with just one HDD....

Jan Solar
Product Marketing
(not a technical support)
http://blog.lenovo.com/author/jsolar/
psuturtle
Topics: 7
Kudos: 144
Solutions: 94

Actually, the HDD fan is supposed to be used/supplied for any config that utilizes SAS HDDs in S20.  It's not dependant on the number of drives.

Have you been handling the drives a lot?  Most HDD failures that we have seen have been a result of improper handling at some time.  This is something that could have happened at any one of many factories even before the system made it to you as well.

Check the internet as well to see if there are large fallout numbers for the drives in question.

Blue Screen Again
nlathrop

Nope, no drive fan of any kind....  Getting one now.

Blue Screen Again
nlathrop

Mine came with 3 drives, but no fan.  Do you happen to have the P/N?

erik

41R5589   FRU, FAN BRKT ASM, 70 X 25 SAS, MARTELL 2

this can be purchased through various parts resellers online or directly through IBM maintenance parts.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Blue Screen Again
nlathrop

One small problem, the fan has a 3 wire plug and the motherboard has a 4 pin plug... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nelson

psuturtle

The HDD fan for S20 should be a 4 wire fan.   Where are you getting info that it's a 3 wire?

Blue Screen Again
nlathrop

I ordered "41R5589", which I believe according to all of the documentation and the earlier suggestion is the right fan. 

It mounts to the cage, etc. However, it has a 3 wire plug and the indicated plug on the motherboard has 4 pins.

psuturtle

From everything I can tell, that's the correct FRU number. But it sounds like you in fact received the FRU for the S10 (which was 3 wire for that fan) instead of the S20. Checking into it.

Just to confirm, you physically received the part and it's a 3-wire? Can you post the numbers/letters under the barcoded label (should start with 11S)?