Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Bigears77
Accepted Solution

FREEBY S30

Some questions from a new Lenovo user.  

I have won a Lenovo S30 computer as part of a contest run by Autodesk called Technology Makeover Contest.  With some significant effort on my part, I was able to convince Autodesk that the original computer configuration, an E30, was hopelessly inadequate to work with the very high-end software that was awarded to the winners. 

They then switched to the S30 with the E5-1625 processor, 16 GB of memory, dual 1Tbyte hard drives which I assume can be configured into a RAID1 arrangement with the 64 bit Windows 7 operating system, a DVD-RW drive, a 24 inch. LED monitor but, and here is the sticking point, an NVida Quadro 2000 video card.  That card is good but not as good as it should be to do the kind of 3D graphics work and FEA analysis that the software can do. In addition, there is no service contract and I am not sure about things like USB ports, Ethernet card etc.

My question is, is there any way that I can contact someone at Lenovo, AFTER I get the hardware, [I already have the software] to swap the video card for a Quadro 4000 and to sign up for a service contract and pay the extra cost for those items without paying a penalty since I was not the actual purchaser? 

You can see more info about the contest on Facebook

Thanks very much.

Bob Price

Automation*Gears*Machinery

community supermod
erik

Re: FREEBY S30

[ Edited ]

bob - welcome to the forum and congrats on the win!

unless autodesk went out of their way to acquire this system without warranty or service plan, your S30 will arrive with three years of on-site warranty.   warranty follows the machine, not the buyer, so you'd be covered in the event you need to contact support.

regarding the Q2000 to Q4000 swap, you'd need to buy the Q4000 through lenovo or a lenovo reseller.   part number 57Y4480 is what you want.   this part will assume your S30's warranty during its active duration.   you may purchase it here on lenovo.com or through any number of authorized resellers.

personally, i'd give the Q2000 a shot with complex assemblies or assemblies with large instances and see how it fares.   autodesk uses directX rather than openGL so even the Q4000 can fall on its face with a complex enough file.   you might need a Q5000 depending on what you're doing.

i haven't followed the contest but again, congrats!

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

psuturtle
Topics: 9
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 101

Also note that if you do end up switching to the Q4000 card, you will need to install an addtional front fan for cooling.  The FRU for this part is 41R5595.

Fanfold Paper
Bigears77

Thanks very much guys - that is all great advice and will save me some expenses.  I will need to purchase a new UPS for the machine: can you plse tell me the approx. overall power needed in the configuration I outlined.

As for the best video card, my largest, so far, assembly was approx. 700 parts in AutoCAD not Inventor: don't know if Inventor files are larger that AutoCAD.

Again, my sincere thanks for the comments.

Bob Price

A*G*M

community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]

i use both inventor and autocad and haven't run into any graphics issues in autocad.   nvidia has an autocad-specific driver available on their site built to accelerate quadro cards in autocad.   i'd definitely give that a try before spending any money.

drivers can be found here:  http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

select the quadro / quadro 2000 options, then choose "autocad performance driver" from the download type.

also, when you take delivery of the S30 you can check the warranty status on the following page by plugging in your 4-digit machine type and serial number.   this will help put your mind at ease regarding warranty and service coverage.   http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/warranty-status/default.page?

(edit: typo)

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Fanfold Paper
Bigears77

Thanks Eric - will do all of that when the hardware arrives.

Bob
Fanfold Paper
Bigears77

Hello psturtle - would you plse contact me off the forum @

gearknox.nycap.rr.com

Thanks

Bob Price
psuturtle

You can shoot me a private message if you like.  Probably safer that putting your email out on the forum :smileywink:

Fanfold Paper
Bigears77

Recent events are interesting -

After several emails and phone calls to the Autodesk contact, I was told late Friday that she has been unable to get a commitment from Lenovo as to when the hardware will be shipped to me.  Note that it is approximately two months since I was told that I was a winner and two plus weeks since I got the thumb drive with the software.

I was told that "At this point I am just a middle man, so I have provided Lenovo with your contact information and asked that Lenovo contact you directly."  That strikes me as a failure to acknowledge that the contest was Autodesk's idea.

Anyone have any idea as to how I could break through the firewall at the Lenovo No. Carolina phone number so I could try to talk to someone who might be able to help?

Thanks

Bob Price

A*G*M

psuturtle

I know a few people that were involved in the autodesk thing.  I can ask if they know what the hold up is.  Factors such as S30 just launching and potential technical issues holding some early shipments could be the reason(s) it's delayed.