Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
gpsd
Accepted Solution

GTX 570/580 in C20/C20x

[ Edited ]

Erik, which GTX 570 are you using? I am interested only out of sheer curiosity as I have a Quadro 5000 in my c20x, but was the card crashing with specific software or even with routine windows navigation or the like? Also have you looked into the larger memory 570 and 580 cards (i think they are 2gb, 2.5gb and 3gb)?

Edit: And Happy New Year!

(mod edit: split thread out of different discussion and changed title to match)

community supermod
erik

Re: D10 power is flakey

mine is an EVGA GTX 570 Classified.   because the power connectors are on the side, i had to fabricate a 90-degree jumper harness to get it to fit in the C20 chassis and actually be able to close the door.

my modified BIOS is based off of 70.10.49.00.72.   clocks are set at 513 / 1026 / 1500 just like the Q5000.   idle and mid-state voltages are set at 913mV with the high end at 1.013~1.1005V.   i can list a detailed table if needed.

current driver is 270.61.   anything newer would cause havoc in normal desktop apps like firefox, windows explorer, etc.   at one point i was using a modified quadro driver but didn't see any differences in autodesk inventor or autocad and eventually went back to the WHQL desktop driver.

the card runs cool, doesn't use much power, and is for the most part very stable.   every once in a while the screen will flash completely black but it's never, ever crashed.   with only 1.25GB it runs out of VRAM on occasion with large assemblies.   in hindsight a 3GB GTX 580 would have been better but at that rate i might as well have kept my Q5000.

while i really can't complain about the card or its performance, this is only a temporary solution until kepler quadros are available.   if kepler is a bomb then i'll keep the 570 or fall back on a Q5000.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Punch Card
gpsd

Interesting. So did you try the card with its original bios first and was it also unstable at that time? I too have toyed with the idea of temporarily downgrading until the new Quadros are released. The only higher end GTX card that I am aware of with the power connector on the  end is the EVGA GTX 570 HD SC with 1.2gb of ram.

community supermod
erik

my 570 wasn't unstable on the factory BIOS to the point of crashing but did have a lot of black screen flashes.   that might have been a driver issue though.   on the BIOS i modded, lower temps and the subsequent reduction of fan speed and wattage draw during long 3D modeling sessions were the main benefits.   it's been absolutely rock solid in all of my heavy apps.

the GTX 570 HD (both 1.25 and 2.5GB), 560 Ti (both 1 and 2GB), 560, and 550 all have sockets at the end rather than the side.   the 2GB 560 Ti that i tried was a nightmare and crashed constantly.   i've not tried a 570 HD in the C20.   this is the card i have.

Punch Card
gpsd

Hi Erik, just on that power connector located along the top of the card, how were you able to get the connection to fit in your C20x? I know there is a bit of thread-drift going on here, but I would be very interested in knowing this.

Thanks,

George

community supermod
erik

the short version is that i milled a pair of 6- and 8-pin sockets on the bridgeport, crimped pins with a molex tool, bent the card pins 90 degrees to fit the sockets, and covered the exposed parts with heat shrink.   i then removed the center brace from the chassis and tapped the PCI slots for 3mm chassis screws.   the access cover shuts with zero effort and doesn't bulge at all.   height of the sockets are a mere 2.5mm.

i also modified an FX 4800/5800 rear support bracket to fit the GTX 570.   it's rock solid and fully supported at both ends.

i plan to make a revised version of the power cable harness using shorter wires now that i know it works.   with my C20 up 24/7 i simply haven't been motivated enough to take it offline.

these photos are pretty bad but should get the point across.   i'll take better ones when i have more time.

1D3X4682_small.jpg

1D3X4683_small.jpg

here's a detailed shot of the sockets.   originally i planned to pot them with epoxy but decided it was safe enough to run as-is until i can shorten the wires.

1D3X4682_detail.jpg

Punch Card
gpsd

Wow - really good solution! I was wondering about the card retaining bracket, though - I thought it would be near impossible to keep that on. And the pictures are more than good - they clearly show what you have done.

For one last thread drift - I see you cpu heatsink is mounted with the fan pointing to the case fans that pulls the heat out of the case. This is the opposite to how mine is mounted, and I think opposite to how I have seen it shown by Lenovo in their C20 whitepaper. I wondered about the proper orientation as the way I have it mounted blows the air into the centre of the chassis, and the way you have it blows the air to the external fans to be picked up. Is there anything official? I will say that the heat sink remains fairly cool even under load.

Regards,

George

community supermod
erik

the fan pulls air through the sink toward the back of the chassis.   it's mounted backward for low acoustics.   don't worry - i reversed everything properly. :smileywink:

psuturtle
Topics: 9
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 104

Impressed :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
gpsd

Erik, as an aside, it is worthwhile splitting this video card piece of the thread off into its own thread as it might be informative to others but the thread title and original discussion have little to do with it.