Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
community supermod
erik

Re: GTX 570/580 in C20/C20x

[ Edited ]

good idea.   done. :smileywink:

edit:  i meant to ask...  what software do you use with your Q5000?

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Punch Card
gpsd

Primarily 3dsMax.

And yeah, not sure I will trade in my Q5000. My thinking was to sell it for a good price before the new ones came out and the resale price dropped, but the reality is there is probably no savings after dropping $300 or so on a desktop card. But still insteresting thought. Now if only I could get a sense of when new Quadros (and price) would be announced. Though I expect the Quadros would trail the desktop cards in terms of release date by a significant margin anyway (and the Q5000 is more than good enough at the moment anyway).

community supermod
erik

yeah, if the Q5000 is bought and paid for then keep it.   it's a great card.   there's a decent chance i'll drop my 570 in favor for another Q5000 soon.   unless kepler comes in stupid cheap, they'll likely hold their value for a while.

psuturtle
Topics: 9
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 101

Did you say you cut a hole in the center brace on your modded C20?  Or did you end up just removing the center brace completely?

If you have that full card in there and the extender bracket attached, it'll help strengthen it.  But you'd be suprised at just how much flex you will get in that chassis without any cards installed and without the center brace.  Not a big deal really as you're not shipping the system around.

Did you take your power supply out to do that work?  Aren't those fun to get back in? :smileyhappy:

community supermod
erik

i left the center brace out.   originally i was going to cut a window in it for the connectors but decided leaving it out improved ingress/egress of devices.   plus, it never moves (or ships, as you suggested) and doesn't need to support a monitor in desktop configuration.   you're correct on it adding strength.   that chassis is a beast with it installed.

the harness is actually just a jumper so i didn't need to remove or modify the PSU itself.   but, i have had the PSU out before to improve the location of the flat wire bundle coming into the planar socket at the top front corner.   my goal there was to improve airflow but i can't say if anything changed.   assembly is time consuming just because the whole chassis has to come apart.   for some reason the planar was stubborn in removal due to the DIMM fan bracket standoffs.   it was fun once but i probably wouldn't want to replace C20 PSUs for a living (or C20 planars for that matter). :smileyvery-happy:

of all the thinkstation chassis designs, the C20 is by far my favorite.   it's very well thought out and relatively easy to wrench on despite packing 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb sack.