Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Sebastian_R

Installing Linux on ThinkStation D20 (4155-D4G)

I have been trying to instal a Linux distribution (Ubuntu 11.10 in this case, although should a different distribution work better, I would certainly switch) parallel to Windows 7, Ubuntu sees the hard disk fine but can recognize any partitions on it. I would like to avoid wiping the whole disk.

My hardware specifications are:

2xIntel Xeon Quad-Core Processor E5620, 4GB, 500GB 7200RPM SATA HDD, no diskette drive, PCI/PCIe Tower (7x9), DVD Recordable, Dual Gigabit Ethernet, Memory card reader, Windows 7 Professional 64

I have seen suggestions that the RAID system might be responsible for my troubles, but there does not seem to be any Linux drivers for my system.

Somebody else suggested I should try to connect my disk to an AHCI port. Is that simply an (automatically detected) hardware thing or will I have to apply changes to the bios or additional drivers or similar? Are there any howtos around for this process?

Did anyone else encounter this problem and if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks for your time and effort

community supermod
erik

Re: Installing Linux on ThinkStation D20 (4155-D4G)

welcome to the forum!

have you tried this page for linux drivers?   http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-72070

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Punch Card
jtreble

Re: Installing Linux on ThinkStation D20 (4155-D4G)

Sebastian_R,

Have you perhaps considered installing a Linux distribution as a VM on top of VMware Workstation, VirtualBox ... instead of a bare metal dual boot install?  Just a thought.

John Treble

Ottawa, Canada