Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
El_Capitan
Accepted Solution

Lenovo AIO Workstation like Z1?

Greetings,

I recently saw an article about HP's new all-in-one workstation, the Z1.  The system does seem decently well done.  Does anyone know if Lenovo will make a similar product, or think they will?  As a video production professional, I would be very glad if Lenovo made a similar computer, as I am a long-time fan of Think branded computers.

Cheers. 

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

Re: Lenovo AIO Workstation like Z1?

Yeap i would very much like something as cool as this.

I am currently using an iMac 27 inch, but the graphics card on the iMac is just too slow.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
erik

[ Edited ]

intriguing concept.   it'll be interesting to see if HP sells very many units.

wouldn't you prefer a more expandable system for video production?   what about SDI capture and output?

out of curiosity, have you considered an E30 or S30 + 27" display?   cost would be similar yet expandability would be exponentially greater.   or, are you limited in desk space and not able to use a full-size workstation?

(edit: word choice)

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

psuturtle
Topics: 7
Kudos: 137
Solutions: 87

[ Edited ]

The launch of the Z1 didn't go unnoticed.  That being said, it's hard to tell if a halo product like that is going to actually drive new or incremental volume.  That's a huge DE investment for a product that could simply end up just cannibalizing volume from your other existing platforms.

If you're looking for a workstation class system and are space constrained....watch this space.  :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
El_Capitan

[ Edited ]

Oh my, I am excited.  What are you hinting at!!!???

The reason an AIO workstation interests me as a video, graphics, and animation professional is as follows:

1.  In the workspace I am moving toward a smaller, cheaper workstation would allow me to continue editing during long 3D renders or other CPU and GPU intensive processes on my main systems.  

2.  It is a cleaner and subtler system from which to show clients projects, and or preview projects with partners.

3.  One of my workspaces is very space limited, and this would help immensely by placing a capable workstation on my tiny desk.

4.  It would allow a small system for mobile jobs either on or near location.  Preliminary editing and even Color Correction would be MUCH easier than on a mobile workstation (W series).  Also, such a system would allow for travel to and from conferences and or long term meetings, during which work still must be done.  I love laptop workstations as much as the next, but a more mobile desktop would be a far superior solution.

There are several other reasons, but these seem to be the most relevant.

psuturtle

[ Edited ]

So it's not an AIO, but the E-series team just announced the E31 and it includes a new (small)  form factor.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/14/lenovo-thinkstation-E31/

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

E31 looks great.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
El_Capitan

Apparently HP saw good enough sales to justify a second generation product.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57616772-92/hp-debuts-its-z1-g2-a-27-inch-touch-screen-workstation/

Lenovo, get in on this game.

psuturtle

[ Edited ]

No problem.....have you got 2-3 million that you want to loan us for development expense? :smileyhappy:

Seriously though, it still seems like a niche within a niche market.  With the way the core PC market is retracting right now, it makes halo products like this very difficult to do.  That being said, we're always looking/tooling around with stuff, so you never know.

And I have a very hard time calling that thing a workstation :smileyhappy:  Wouldn't be suprised to see some of our existing AIOs run circles around it.