Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
VitalBodies
Accepted Solution

On a D10 ThinkStation what is the plastic part that hold the hard drive to the case?

[ Edited ]

On a D10 ThinkStation 642733U what is the plastic part that holds the hard drive to the case?

What is the FRU or Part number or name?

Mine keep braking like they are brittle?

Best guess is drive rails/caddy/tray?

Does not seem to be on the parts list?

On my workstation there were a stack of 5 of these.

3 out of five broke the first day.

I have had a D10 in the past and had no issues.

community supermod
erik

Re: On a D10 ThinkStation what is the plastic part that hold the hard drive to the case?

call tech support and explain the situation.   they should be able to send replacements.

1-800-426-7378

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Serial Port
VitalBodies

Re: On a D10 ThinkStation what is the plastic part that hold the hard drive to the case?

[ Edited ]

I did, and they struggled to find the part number, name or FRU and sent the wrong parts. Is there a FRU on anyone's drive holder/caddy/rails that anyone could read and tell us what it says?

Mine says:

>ABS/PC< Raven Black C3723

which so far I can not find in the IBM/Lenovo sites.

>ABS/PC< Raven Black is the plastic and the color of the plastic.

community supermod
erik

the trays don't have a direct FRU number that i've ever found.   you might have to convince tech to send you the miscellaneous chassis parts kit since that's more than likely the only way to get them.

Serial Port
VitalBodies

[ Edited ]

Do you mean this:

Miscellaneous Parts Kit 41R5630

And is there an exploded parts diagram of the whole system?

community supermod
erik

yes, that's the number for the MPK.   if the tray is included anywhere, it would more than likely be in that kit.

the only thing close to a parts diagram is found in the HMM.   http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-68976.html

Serial Port
VitalBodies

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your continued support. :smileyhappy:

Well the manuals all call that plastic part a BRACKET.

Let's hope there are a number of them in in the MPK.

Everything I have read says the bracket should flex, and my last D10 brackets did.

I sent the RAILS back today as they are definitely not the correct part.

Some where, somehow there are sheets of info for each FRU/part/kit so the person that gets the FRU/part/kit can install it.

I wonder where those are located?

Also my workstation came with only one Y splitter for the Graphics card/Monitor. Is that correct for a workstation that shipped with two video cards?

Fanfold Paper
jon1

How many hard drive caddies do you need?  Also - what graphics card are you using that requires the Y-connector? Is it an NVS295 that needs the DMS-59 to dual DVI adapter?

Serial Port
VitalBodies

[ Edited ]

3 broke on day one but I would like 5 in case they are all brittle.

I have more drives than the computer can hold so I would like to fill up what I can.

They do not help much laying on my desk : )

I have two of the NVS290 (the version before the 295 cards).

I can not plug my monitor (24" Samsung 245BW) in at all, without the Y connector or some kind of adapter.

Thanks for asking...

community supermod
erik

like jon1 said, you probably need the DMS59 to DVI breakout cable.   it's the white/white Y-cable shown on this page.

regarding the FRU number for the hard drive trays, there probably isn't one.   if there were then the trays would have a number stamped into them.   they fall under the same category as the little thing on the back that holds the access cover keys, the large gate that swings out to access PCI cards, wire organizing clips, etc.

coming from nearly 15 years experience with IBM/lenovo stuff, i can say with confidence that not everything has a FRU number. :smileywink: