Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Conasa

Ps/2 not working in a ThinkStation S20 (4157)

Hi,

I am having trouble with several S20s, in which we've added the Ps/2 connectors, but none of them seem to work correctly.

Sometimes only the mouse works, but the keyboard doesn´t work in any case.

The bios version is 60kt44aus, which I think is the last one.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

802.11n
pagroundhog

Re: Ps/2 not working in a ThinkStation S20 (4157)

Hello,

Did you do a bios update and then add the ps/2 keyboard and mouse?

Paper Tape
Conasa

No,

I've been looking for the latest Bios version and it seems It´s the one I have (60KT44A).

Any other suggestion? Thanks in advance

802.11n
pagroundhog

OK; so you've had the same bios for quite some time and the ps/2 ports (to the best of your knowledge) have never been tested until you plugged in the keyboard and mouse; correct? So, I am not familiar with the settings in your bios; however, if you haven't already done so, I would recommend going into it and looking for an option to enable ps/2 support. Note that some bios's do not have that option and ps/2 is enabled by default. Next, I would try to get into the device manager to make sure there are no yellow exclamation points ( to do that I would assume you would have to use a usb keyboard because you ps/2 one doesn't work). 

Let me know .. 

Paper Tape
Conasa

I´ve checked the Bios and there´s no chance of enabling the Ps/2, so I suppose it's enabled by default.

I wonder why the mouse works and the keyboard doesn´t, looks like some hardware-bios compatibility.

802.11n
pagroundhog

I wouldn't get locked into the hardware-bios thing yet. So, did you check the device manager for yellow exclamation points?

802.11n
pagroundhog

[ Edited ]

Here is what I have learned about your issue since you last reply:

Apparently, the ThinkStation S20 does not come standard with a PS/2 connection for a keyboard and mouse. In fact, it requires a hardware upgrade to gain those physical port connections! See here: Adding PS/2 ports to a ThinkStation S20

So, now (I think) I know why you are so focused on the problem being hardware-bios related.

For your reference, here a page where you can access all software, drivers, and hardware information related to your unit:

ThinkStation Specs, Drivers, Manuals and Parts

Good luck!

(mod edit: fixed second link)

802.11n
pagroundhog

Hello original poster,

Did you ever get the answer you were looking for and/or get your issue resolved?

Please let us know.

Your feedback is important to the community.

psuturtle
Topics: 9
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 102

Have you checked the connectors at the motherboard to ensure you've plugged them in correctly?  Not sure if you ordered your systems with the PS2 adapter, or if you added them on your own.  It would be a good idea to ensure they're plugged correctly and snug.  Beyond that, try multiple PS2 devices and see if you see any patterns in what works and what doesn't.

Note : PS2 is not hotpluggable.  You'll need to shut down the system, and plug in PS2 devices to get them to work.

Paper Tape
Conasa

Hi everyone,

The situation is this:

We bought 20 S20 Stations with the PS2 adapter and W7 preinstalled, and we found the problem in the first machine we started. I checked the next and it had the same problem, so I started checking the BIOS. Everything looked Ok, so I went to check the Motherboard and the PS2 plug, which I unplugged and plugged back again to ensure it wasn´t the problem.

The problem is the failure is appearing randomly, sometimes the mouse works and some others only the enter key works in the keyboard (most of the time the keyboard doesn´t work at all).

As you can see, the situation is confusing. I thought maybe somebody else had the same problem and could help me.

PD: Don´t ask me why we're using PS2. I don´t understand it myself.

Thanks everyone.