Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
galahad-77
Accepted Solution

RAID-L0 on S20, using (usermade) Recovery-Disks?

Hello Lenovo-Community!

I'm happy to be here, i regret my bad English, well I'll try my best. :smileyvery-happy:

I am searching for a solution to the problem above. I already have read the relating articles on this Forum but I can't find a way to solve the problem without re-editing cabs and resources on the Disks or buying a Floppy-drive (and floppys! *WAAAH*)

The problem:

I have a ThinkStation S20-4105D2G. It came with a Seagate-500GB-HDD. Because I want to use the computer as a fast responding Fileserver I decided to upgrade the storage to a Level-0-RAID by adding another HDD (same type).

Then I created the 4 Revovery-DVDs, went to the BIOS and enabled the RAID-Bios. I created my Strip-set and rebooted with my recovery-Disks. All who know this problem know the commence of this story: I have a permanently occouring very short bluescreen just at that moment when windows tries to start the grafic-layer.

Because it occours too short, I can't read what the buzz is.

As many forum-entries suggest, I would try to integrate the Intel-mass-storage-driver... But how?

1st I dont have a floppydisk. Well I could get one but... that can't be!

2nd there's no "Press F6"-Message in the lenovo-Windows-recovery-routine

3rd I cant access even the save-mode to prompt Windows for integrating the driver from CD-Rom (for example).

So what could be done? ATM I use the second drive for the "Users"-directories... already a small improvement! But that can't be the solution for my fastest horse in the barn!

Thanx in advance!!!

Johannes

community supermod
erik

Re: RAID-L0 on S20, using (usermade) Recovery-Disks?

welcome to the forum!

it's honestly been ages since i last used recovery media so i can't help with the driver integration question.

however, have you considered using either an SSD or a seperate RAID array to serve your files instead?   RAID 0 for an OS array is a dangerous proposition unless you're keeping daily disk image backups and can afford to spend time re-imaging the system if/when the RAID 0 fails.   RAID 0 is prone to failure, especially when using integrated controllers such as ICH-10R.

whether you use an SSD or multiple HDDs in RAID, backups are recommended in either case.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Paper Tape
galahad-77

Hi Erik, thanx for the reply.

well... of course I considered that. (SSD...), but I'd have to admit  that this is no cheap solution...

I ACK! RAID-L0 is quite "RISCy" but I've been using RAIDs since Utra-Wide-SCSI and besides of that, I backup to a NAS during the week seven times incremental and two times as image.

I've been doing that for fifeteen years now and there were only two real failures I had to recover and they were "OSI-level8"...

1st case:

Imagine you sitting in a foto-laboratory (hot dark room) behind some cardboard boxes in front of a customly made Non-Rack-PC (here "Server") and the RAID-Controller is buzzing.... You know that the 3-Disc-U3W-L5-Raid can easily be reconstituted through replacing the toasted drive by the one you hold already in your hands...

The laborant stands behind you, mourning about the error-lamps of the pc, damaging his negatives...

And happy like a squirrel that is burriing a hand-granade for the next cold winter.... you pull out the WRONG HDD.

Epic fail. But in my defense: I was not the one who plugged the HDD-frames in the order 1-3-2. So pulling the failing HDD-3 lead to killing HDD-2

The Stripe-set broke and could not be rebuilt. Luckily it could be done by attaching an external CD-Rom, booting and reinstalling the image via LAN.

2nd case:

Raid constantly reported errors after a virus was installed onto the system. Never found out why, just dumped and rebuilt from backup.

So why should I not trust in Raids? I mean it's old technique but as long as you don't have to deal with "Recovery-Media"... There shouldn't be any problem! So how do I get a proper Windows-7 DVD from Lenovo? epic fail.

community supermod
erik

i've deployed and managed RAID arrays for around 20 years and have seen the most failures in both level 0 (which isn't RAID by definition) and 5.   admittedly, this is the first time i've ever seen "L0" used to refer to "level 0" and initially thought you might be incorrectly referring to RAID 10.

it's good to know you're keeping proper images and backups.   i personally wouldn't deploy software-based ("fake") RAID 0 on an array intended for both OS and file serving.   that's typically where you'll see RAID 0 fail given enough time or load.   intel's ICH-10R is good but true hardware controllers are much more forgiving.   but, that's just my take.

your first story isn't that uncommon.   in the IBM farm where i spent some time, they kept a stethoscope on-hand to help identify loud or failed drives and eliminate the guesswork in pulling the wrong drive from an array.   pulling the wrong drive happens more than people are willing to admit.   as it goes, cables and labels never match. :smileywink:

windows 7 media can be downloaded online from digital river.   without knowing what version you have (ultimate, professional, etc.) i can't provide a direct link.   search online for "digital river windows 7 download" and you'll find links.   as long as it comes from digital river, it's official.   lenovo can only provide recovery media, not a "clean" version.

once you have media then you may use the license key on the back of your system to activate.   drivers for the S20 can be downloaded here.   alternatively, you can download TVSU and help automate some of the driver tasks.

psuturtle
Topics: 8
Kudos: 149
Solutions: 99

Which OS are you using?  For win7, you should be able to use just about any media to provide a driver to the OS during install.  For winXP, it must be a FDD (and not only that, it must be a FDD approved by MS to actually work).

From what I understand, here are the steps you're taking:

1.  Have built image on 500GB SATA drive

2.  Added another 500GB SATA drive to the system

3.  Created recovery DVDs

4.  Went into BIOS and enabled RAID

5.  Tried to boot system, hit BSOD.

If this is correct, your BSOD is caused by step 4.  If your image was originally built and setup on AHCI mode and you then go in and enable RAID, you won't be able to boot your original AHCI image in RAID mode.  The image will likely need to be rebuilt to get it to work in RAID mode.  Your image should still be bootable if you change the BIOS setting back to AHCI mode (if you need to save data from that image).

Paper Tape
galahad-77

[ Edited ]

Hey friends thanx for the reply. I tried some things out, and everything is getting more and more bizarre...

first I copied the installed OS onto another HDD and connected it to SATA-1,

next I installed my pair of 500er HDDS to SATA-Channel 2&3.

Then I enabled "RAID" in the BIOS, and built a RAID-0 with the onboard Raid-manager.

Then I rebooted and got a nice loveley _BLUESCREEN_. Fine. VERY FINE.

So I went back to the BIOS and switched the back to AHCI... Said myself "I'll make a clean installation with a WIN-7 media I had as spare in the drawer.... But the mashine started! And although the SATA-Controller is NOT in RAID mode, My Windows shows me a 1TB HDD....

So I used that good weather-time for installing the intel-rapid-mass-storage-drivers... Reboot with RAID enabled: --> Bluescreen

Again I turned RAID off and it works now. BUT.... answer with hand on your balls... Would you rely on a mashine that obviously runs with corrupt settings? Even if it does fine?

p.S.: sorry for writing unusual terms like "RAID-L0" and stuff like that... Although I love to work and live with very fine hardware, I am no "pro".

community supermod
erik

what you're seeing sounds completely normal.   you can't enable RAID on an AHCI installation without taking other steps.   this will cause a BSOD every time.

the following microsoft KB article should be of help:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Paper Tape
galahad-77

Thanx for the advise, but that does not apply on my problem. :smileywink:

It finds the bootable-system and starts up but when initializing the windows graphic interface, the mashine bluescreens and resets itself.

Funny thing is: it does only behave like that when RAID is enabled. Now that RAID is disabled it boots and deals with the two HDDs as if they were in a RAID-Set but... It's disabled in BIOS.

psuturtle
Topics: 8
Kudos: 149
Solutions: 99

As Erik and I have both said, we think this is exactly your problem. 

Your BSOD is almost certainly being caused by enabling RAID in BIOS for an image that was created under AHCI mode.  The description you offer about your symptoms (RAID enabled = BSOD, AHCI enabled = normal operation) justifies this explanation.  Enabling RAID mode is not necessarily as simple as  just going into BIOS and turning it on...unless you're willing to create new images or update your existing one to get it to work.