Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
drrexx
Accepted Solution

RAM Upgrade for S10

Hello. I am trying to upgrade a ThinkStation S10 to 6GB of memory by adding 2x2GB memory

sticks.  The S10 came with 2x1GB pre-installed. 

When I add the two new memory modules, the computer gives what to me sounds like a 1-3-1

warning beep sequence and fails to boot.  No error shows up on screen ---actually, there is no

monitor input at all. 

I am pretty confident the memory modules are of the correct type (DDR3 1066 PC3-8500,

by OCZ Technologies), and I have tried all possible combinations of the modules on the

motherboard, just in case placement makes a difference.  

What am I doing wrong? 

Other diagnoses that came to mind are: (1) one of the modules is faulty ---although I have no

way to verify that as I cannot run a memory test; or (2) OCZ memory is incompatible with the

S10's motherboard.

Thank you in advance for your help. 

community supermod
erik

Re: RAM Upgrade for S10

welcome to the forum!

the S10 requires 240-pin 1.5V PC3-8500 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM UDIMMs.   to the best of my knowledge, the S10 requires ECC memory and your OCZ might not be ECC.   without knowing the part numbers of your modules, it's difficult to say if you purchased the correct memory.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 ULV · X60T SXGA+ · s30 · 600

Punch Card
ImportMuscle

I tried to mix ECC with Non ECC memory and it doesn't work. So I swapped out the ECC and put 4 sticks of NO ECC Memory by kingston.
Fanfold Paper
Digitaloz

Your best choice is to go to a memory provider that has a good web site to pick the memory you require for your ThinkStation.

Here is the link to CRUCIAL's web site for the S10 memory products:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=ThinkStation%20S10

Here is the link to Kingston's web site for the S10 memory products:  Click Here.

Depending on the OS installed on your S10, you may find that not all of the new memory will be seen.  This is normal.  The amount of memory not seen will depend on the type of video card and how many additional PCI adapters you have in your ThinkStation.

Have a great new year!!!

Digitaloz

Paper Tape
drrexx

Hello all, and happy new year!

Thank you for all the previous messages.  They were all very helpful.  Here's a brief 

update on my attempt to upgrade to 6GB of RAM.  I followed your advice and purchased

4GB (2 x 2) Kingston modules specifically made for the S10.  The model number 

is KTL-TCS10/2G.  I installed the modules by populating the memory slots exactly as

indicated on the manual.  But when I tried to reboot the fans started spinning... And they

kept spinning without nothing else happening.  I also tried to swap out the Samsung

modules the computer came with and tried to reboot with the Kingston modules

alone, but I get the same results.  I am missing some key step here.  What am I doing

wrong? I am completely at a loss.

Sorry for pestering you all about this.

community supermod
erik

try each of the kingston modules by themselves in slot 0 (the lowermost slot) to make sure each one works.

on a side note, i can't imagine why you'd still be having problems even with system-specific memory.   i checked kingston's specs on the KTL-TCS10/2G and everything looks correct. :smileysad:

Paper Tape
drrexx

After many weeks, finally I have some good news to report.  It turns out one of the memory modules I received was defective.  Althought it took a while, I managed to exchange it for a working one and installed my 4GB of DDR3 EEC memory successfully.

I'm a much happier camper now.  In spite of Vista x64, my Thinkstation is a lot faster and more responsive now.  Thank you, Erik, and all the others who helped me out.

The only drawback is that now Vista x64 crashes a lot more frequently than before ---at least once a day.  I am hoping that a BIOS update will fix this.

community supermod
erik

drrexx - glad to hear you've made some progress!

vista x64 shouldn't crash more given more memory.   are you 100% sure that the other module isn't defective, too?   i'm not. :smileywink:   if the modules were manufactured within the same batch then it's possible that both were defective, albeit one less defective than the other.

i would pull the module that didn't get replaced and see if vista still crashes.   if not then request that module to be replaced, too.

Paper Tape
drrexx

Hello all.  I have another update.  After a couple of weeks of stressing the system with Memtest86+ and Windows Memory Test, I cannot find any error with the memory itself.  I have done a lot of googling about this issue, and it seems to be a Vista x64-related  problem.  Many Vista x64 users experience repeated BSODs and freeze-ups after RAM upgrades.  I have seen evidence of this even among some Windows XP x64 users.  Some solutions I have seen posted in various discussion forums (fora?) include: (1) update the BIOS; (2) install all Microsoft patches and hotfixes; (3) remove and reinstall the memory one module at a time.  I have not seen any actual solution beyond these three tentative suggestions.  My ThinkStation is up-to-date with BIOS, patches, and everything else.  I have tried the remove-reinstall trick.  Crashes and BSODs continue.  I keep googling...
community supermod
erik

it's a long shot but i'd recommend reinstalling chipset support and storage drivers.

if your hunch is correct, i'm not sure what else in vista x64 could be causing an issue besides the above.

it's worth a try anyway.