Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
BoHick
Accepted Solution

S10 642327A | internal upgrades (part 1): 5.25" Bay to 3.5" Swappable HDD Bay

Been looking into what to do with the space that's lain dormant for so long in my machine - the 5.25" bay up front. I found this item: Connectland Drive Bay (CL-HD-MROF), SATA 3.5" (http://www.amazon.com/Connectland-CL-HD-MROF-5-25-Inch-Mobile-3-5-Inch/dp/B0028Y4DAO/ref=pd_sxp_grid... there were some pretty good customer reviews on this unit and one of those from someone who's deployed scads of them and swears by it.

Does anyone out there have experience with this particular item or, does anyone have something they absolutely adore and swear by that is easy for drive swapping but that DOES NOT require an enclosure or internal fan? Getting replacement parts for something not locally available is always a huge hassle here - which is why I chose something with no enclosure (better airflow, less heat) and no fan.

S10 - 642327A
community supermod
erik

Re: S10 642327A | internal upgrades (part 1): 5.25" Bay to 3.5" Swappable HDD Bay

i see no reason why that wouldn't work.   you might also check out icydock.com for other options.   they have 5.25" bay docks that fit various 3.5" and 2.5" HDDs.   drive operating temperature would be my only concern if that area doesn't get enough natural airflow from the chassis.   otherwise it should be fine.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

SCSI Port
BoHick

Re: S10 642327A | internal upgrades (part 1): 5.25" Bay to 3.5" Swappable HDD Bay

ah - then that brings up a related little puzzle - there is no front case fan on my S10. is that because it wasn't configured with one or owing to (as too often happens) pilffering en route to me? i notice that 80mm fans are hard to come by here (been looking)...which i am doing now

and thx for the Icy Dock link. i really like the concept of their new 3.5/2.5" single ba unit as it has the power on/off buttons and will go for that along with the Connectland model. i had trouble finding many reviews of the Icy Dock stuff which surprised me as their site is very slick and they have bits on all the major reseller sites. have you personally used their goodies?

anyway hear you loud and clear on the internal temps. living in the tropics, and this is my parting shot on the topic, is it better to leave the PCI slots on the rear open where they have no cards to increase airflow? all the gamer shops just pull their sides and i notice if the access panel is off i run much cooler: advice on that?

S10 - 642327A
community supermod
erik

if your system didn't ship with multiple hard drives or a high-end GPU the the front fan would have been omitted as part of the config.

i haven't used any icy dock products myself.   i just knew of them and that their product line closely matched what you wanted.

most systems run cooler with the access panel off.   but, if the difference is dramatic the you'll want to look for a front case fan.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

SCSI Port
BoHick

Erik, thx - you're right about the Icy Dock unit I decided on - perfect for what I need with the on/off buttons for the drives and ease of swapping, though I will get the Connectland as well so I have options and can do some temp checking and that. If anyone's interested later in how that all goes I'll be glad to share what I learned.

I imagined the lack of the fan was due to the OEM configuration (am on Nvidia FX1700 - which is enough for SketchUp and ArcGIS - mostly). Right now at 0911 GMT +7 I'm running at 40/38C (processor 1/2 respectively - assume 1 is the lower unit), while access panel off I usually run around 26/28C which is a big difference - but man oh man is the air dusty here and that of course presents other problems. I'll leave off at that and consider this thread solved and open another specific to cooling issues and solutions.

S10 - 642327A