Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
BoHick
Accepted Solution

S10 642327A | internal upgrades (part 4): sequencing installation of internal upgrades

ok - so parts are almost ready to come my way from the US and my palms are itching and ears twitching

applying the auto mechanics analogy again (remember, no comp-sci background here :smileywink:) i was thinking in my aspie-sphinctal way about sequencing things properly: you don't add a different heat range of spark plug till you've worked out the  timing on the new distributor and then tweaked the new carb to see if you'll need those fancy new spark plugs...but perhaps i'm getting carried away w/planning

what i'm adding:

- a suite of PCI & PCI-e cards (PCI: 1394/USB 2.0 combo, USB 3.0; PCI-e USB 3.0/cardreader combo)

- 5.25 bay drive caddy

- CPU

- hdd array & front case fans

- CPU heat sink/cooler (if/as indicated)

- possibly video card upgrade (see this post if interested in feeding back: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation/S10-642327A-internal-upgrades-part-3-video-card-to-upgrade-...

what i mean when i say below 'one at a time' is an install followed by reboot to check the system's running clean before proceeding

1] i figure to start w/the chasis upgrades, meaning the fans and drive caddy

2] PCI cards, one at a time

3] PCI-e card(s), one at a time

4] CPU

cards i've done on other units, including nvidia video, and i figure they shouldn't present me with any worries other than making sure the drivers are up to date and that (unless i'm missing something?); the chassis installs i don't anticipate any problems with (just mount, plug power and go, yes?), taking my time, blah, blah, etc. blah

the only thing i feel a bit uneasy about is the CPU: this i have not done before. i don't see a bios beyond my current version (2WKT47AUS) so am thinking the CPU (QX9650) won't require any special attn in that regard - but are there any install-critical considerations beyond a thorough cleaning of the mating surfaces and proper seating with thermal compound to consider?

so if i'm getting carried away w/planning here, let me know. hopefully after you folks chime in further posts will be software and firmware related only :smileyvery-happy:

S10 - 642327A
community supermod
erik

Re: S10 642327A | internal upgrades (part 4): sequencing installation of internal upgrades

your installation order looks fine to me.   that CPU is supported so you could swap it earlier if desired.

save the video card for last in case you need to make any BIOS changes to free up space taken by the PCI/PCIe devices.

out of curiosity, which PCIe USB 3.0/cardreader combo are you considering?

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

SCSI Port
BoHick

Re: S10 642327A | internal upgrades (part 4): sequencing installation of internal upgrades

since success breeds confidence i figured to start in on things i'm comfy with already and save the CPU for the coup de grace :smileysurprised:

hmm - BIOS changes as a potential, eh? pls do say a bit more if you can about cards taking up BIOS spaces and remedies for that: the video card has to wait, sadly

this is the unit i intended to order (http://www.amazon.com/Uspeed-PCI-E-Internal-Combo-Reader/dp/B005MM0URE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=133571... which is a 'syba,' 'connectland' or a 'uspeed' depending on who sells it, seems like: all the specs, configuration/construction/materials appear the same, so i chose the uspeed on the basis of customer reviews on amazon.

i actually forgot to order it tho - homer moment? or take as synchronous since you're asking?  if have you any rec you'd venture to make glad to hear it

i believe the unit has a VIA and not NEC/Renesas chipset and understand from a thread here somewhere the latter is perferable - tho even the box stock port strip below the card reader routinely looks for drivers for USB devices i use everyday. i also chose ont eh basis of keeping a card reader, which i use seldom, but do use. i could go to an external card reader if there were something rather stellar to occupy it's place.

i'll hold off till the time zones align again before making up my mind? the icy dock tip was a good one :smileywink:

S10 - 642327A
community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]

BIOS changes might include disabling anything currently not needed.   but, that's only if the graphics card won't POST.   depending on the card you get you might not ever have any issues.   the Q2000D will probably be fine.   update: it doesn't appear to be compatible with the S10.

the card reader / hub combo you linked doesn't appear to drive the card reader at USB 3.0 speeds.   that's unfortunate as a fast card reader would be quite beneficial if you take a lot of photos.

SCSI Port
BoHick

i would be going w/the Q2000D for the sake of longevity and reliability - as per someone's as usual sound counsel

no erik, it lacks the 3.0 - i figured that for me this isn't a big issue - i usde the reader seldom and always download our EOS 30D directly using the software (zoombrowser and EOS utility)  that came with it: goes same place everytime and i'm long familiar w/the programs

additionally, the only place i can see to plug the USB connector w/out taking up the header currently in use for the 1394/USB 2.0/mic/headphone strip (crikey - what is that bugger really called?) is the header the reader uses now - which on the board says USB 1.0 tho maybe i'm misunderstanding the relationships

S10 - 642327A
community supermod
erik

that strip is the FPIO (front panel input/output).   it's USB 2.0.   you could use that header if you don't mind losing those two front USB 2.0 sockets.

SCSI Port
BoHick

thx for the appropriate nomenclature

trading up to 4 ports of USB 3.0 + keeping parity on the cardreader sounds about right - i hate plugging cables into the front anyhow hence the ancient - as in 2002 - NEC/TI 1394/USB 2.0 PCI card (2+2 external &1+2 internal); that's one of the planned PCI upgrades, going to 3+2 (USB+1394), and i'll still have a functioning spare :smileywink:

S10 - 642327A
SCSI Port
BoHick

ok - been awhile - nice to be back but of course not so nice as well :smileyfrustrated:

i installed the Quadro 2000 last and it won't POST: i get the 1 long, 2 short video card error; uninstalled all the related software so running on VGA, instlled, reboot, and no matter what i do i get the same POST error

erik, you mentioned disabling things i don't need in the BIOS as a possibility, but honestly i'm not sure which things to disable and where to disable them once i get into the BIOS. haven't played with that much as yet though i know enough to get into it when i boot, reorder devices, basic stuff. looks like it's time to go to school on this...

the installation instructions mention the need to disable any integrated graphcis controllers - but i am not fluent enough with the board to know if the S10 has them - and i didn't see (or sawe and didn't grasp) this as an option

i figure it's possible it could be a Monday card. if i gently shake the card it rattles a bit and the fan is louder than my heat sink fan, whereas the FX1700 is essentially silent in comparision, but i don't want to jump the gun and instead make sure i cover all my softweare bases before trying to deal with another RMA from Viet Nam

BTW - the QX9650 is SO sweet - very marked inprovement in WS performance

S10 - 642327A
community supermod
erik

that's surprising.   the Q2000 doesn't use many resources so it's odd to hear that it doesn't boot.

the 'devices' tab in the BIOS will give a list of what can be disabled.   serial might be the only viable option on the S10.   it's been ages since i've seen an S10 BIOS screen and can't recall anything else of significance.

which slot is the Q2000 installed?   have you tried moving slots?   what other devices are installed in your S10?   is the monitor connected to the #1 DVI or displayport socket?

SCSI Port
BoHick

i was surprised as well - which is why the little rattle and the fan noise makes me a tad suspisious...

i figured it would be the devices tab and yes, as i recall about the only thing i could disable i'm not using is the serial

i tried both PCIe 16x slots and had the same POST error on both. and yes, i'm on the #1 DVI. was going to use the display port adapter but it's missing 2 small slots for my cable end. so, other devices:

1] the card reader/3.0 USB unit on the PCIe 4x slot - no apparent issues (stock card reader has far better fit and finish but i seldom use it anyway);

2] USB 3.0 controller (2 external) on one PCI slot (no issues);

3] my old NEC USB/1394 card on the other PCI slot (no issues - the new one i got in has SATA + internal USB on it and resets the BIOS device order to the PCI slot and i get no boot - have to enter the BIOS and manually reconfigure at some point - on deadlines and can't be bothered at the moment); and

4] the 5.25" bay drive caddy (no issues once i got the SATAs all sequenced properly - missed that after the local fellows cleaned it for me)

5] the QX9650 - which is running with the original heatsink and fan (the one that came in the box is HUGE)

i installed the HDD bay and front case fans but don't see how they could be culprits in this case (running nice and cooler - good tip, Erik)

my first thot after 4 installs was a bad card. but i figured best to see if anyone in the forum has seen this, or anything like it, before i make the e-trek thru the wilds of RMA Land - i'd feel like a real wet cat if i packed it off and it came back with a 'ain't nothin wrong with this here card, son...'

i suppose i should be grateful - everything else i shipped in works - but it's a $400 item so it's not like i can give up and look the other way

S10 - 642327A