Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
GTVic

S10 Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

I'm getting frequent "Hardware Malfunction" blue-screen errors on my S10. The specific message is "NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error".

20090530213015.jpg

This started after I added a 3rd hard drive (an 80GB SSD) which worked fine for a month or so but inadvertently caused the power plug on my 2nd hard drive to partially dislodge. I believe that is when I saw the first blue-screen. After resolving that (and the tech did do a fully memory check) I had frequent blue screens until I decided to remove the SSD completely. After a few months of trouble free operation the blue-screens have reappeared and are now appearing several times per day.

Typically what happens is that the computer will freeze for short periods (a few seconds) and then continue working but eventually the frequecy of this will increase and finally the blue screen which can occur while the computer is idle or when I'm actually using it.

There is very little info on the web on how to deal with this issue. I suspect that it may be one of the hard drives that is failing. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Greg

community supermod
erik

Re: S10 Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

i had that happen once on a colleague's thinkcentre after an internal device came loose, shorted +12V to ground, and tripped the PSU's breaker.   the only solution i found was resetting the BIOS and reinstalling windows.

perhaps someone else will have another solution.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 ULV · X60T SXGA+ · s30 · 600

Punch Card
GTVic

Thanks, I forgot to mention that the blue screens happen in multiple OSs so I'm leaning towards something purely hardware related.

community supermod
erik

in that case definitely try resetting the BIOS.   if that doesn't work then you'll need to remove all devices and install one at a time until you find the problematic hardware.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 ULV · X60T SXGA+ · s30 · 600