Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
rranger
Accepted Solution

S10 with SAS/RAID and assorted other questions

I noticed from the tech spec sheet that the S10 ThinkStation requires an adapter card if SAS drives are used.

I need (or desire) to have both PCIe x16 slots open for a pair of NVS440 graphics cards - for an 8 monitor trading setup

1.)Where does this card reside????

I would like to order SAS hdd with the RAID 1e configuration (3 hdd)-

It's my understanding that with this configuration (combo mirror/striping) that the available hdd space is 50% less than total disks -

i.e 3 disks @ 73 GB = 219 GB total - divided by 2 (50%) = total available hdd space = appx 109 GB.

2.) Is this correct?????

If there is a disk failure in the RAID array -

3. Can a replacement hdd be hot swapped ???? or must the machine be powered down.

It is also my understanding that RAID arrays are viewed by the computer as 1 disk - regardless of how many hdds.

4.) Are there any differences in defragging SAS RAID arrays ?????? PerfecDisk is recommended by trading computer builders and that is the product I was planning on implementing.

If I order the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Sound Card -

5.) Which slot does this card reside in ?????????

6.) Integrated Audio located on mobo ????????????

Because this workstation will be running automated trading strategies 24 hrs x 5 days a week, heat is a concern of mine.

I realize that Lenovo cannot offer all premium cooling devives at a cost effective price.

It appears that the community that deals with heat the most(gamers) recommend Zalman case fans and the Arctic Freezer for CPU cooling -

7.) Does the S10 have a 92mm case fan?????

8.) Does installing either of these components nullify warranty????????????????

My apologies for the length of this post - I just really need to know exactly how this project will be implemented.

Thanks for all of your product expertise,

rranger 

erik

Re: S10 with SAS/RAID and assorted other questions

1:  the RAID card resides in the PCI-e x1 slot.   PCI-e x16 is currently only used for video cards.   having a RAID card will not affect your video cards.

2:  a 73GB x 3 RAID 1e configuration would be 146GB total.   (73GB x 3) - 73GB = 146GB

3:  yes, HDDs can be hot swapped inside or outside a RAID array.

4:  SAS drives defrag like any other drive.   it is recommended to defrag.   the array will be viewed as one logical drive.

5:  the sound card is a PCI card and resides in the PCI slot.

6:  the S10 planar (motherboard) has integrated audio with 5.1 analog output.   it also has S/PDIF (digital) output via an optical TOSLINK socket.

7:  yes, it has 92mm front and rear case fans.   the S10 has plenty of cooling capacity spread across its four fans.   the chassis is designed for 24x7 operation under full load with all PCI slots, hard drives, and optical drives populated.   you will not overheat it.   the configuration you've mentioned above is very typical (and also quite mild) for an S10.

8:  yes, installing aftermarket fans will nullify your warranty.   see #7 as to why this is unnecessary.

i would highly suggest downloading the thinkstation S10/D10 hardware maintenance manual and S10 hardware replacement guide as they contain a vast amount of information on the hardware and installing various devices.

if you have any other questions then please feel free to ask. :smileywink:

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Paper Tape
rranger

Erik -

You da Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome answers!

Thanks -

rranger

SCSI Port
BoHick

Erik,

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar question re: the PCI-e x16 slot - is it truly/still a video-only slot or can:

1] some of the new generation RAID cards (and others that claim to function in this slot as well as PCI-e x1/x4) be run here? And,

2] are the PCI/e slots version 1.0 or 2.0?

Hugh

S10 - 642327A
erik

[ Edited ]

hugh - the question above was whether or not factory-configured S10 RAID controllers came installed in the x1 or x16 slots on the S10, hence why i said that currently only video cards use the X16 slots (again, as configured from the factory).   an x16 slot by design can use x16, x8, x4, and x1 devices.   so, yes, you may install a RAID controller in the x16 slot.

all x16 PCIe slots in the 10- and 20-series thinkstations are 2.0 spec.

hopefully that clarifies things a bit.

edit: corrected "x16" omission.

SCSI Port
BoHick

Erik, as always much appreciated, and I'll read a bit more carefully next time ;-) ... and yes that clarifies things considerably. The forum is lucky to have you at hand. Hugh

S10 - 642327A
psuturtle
Topics: 7
Kudos: 137
Solutions: 87

[ Edited ]

"all PCIe slots in the 10- and 20-series thinkstations are 2.0 spec."

Not quite.  I don't remember off the top of my head what the specs are for S10/D10, but I know for a fact that not all PCIe slots in 20 series are gen2....the x1 slot on D20 for example is gen1 PCIe.  Keep in mind that there are a limited number of lanes to work with in each architecture.  For 20 series, there were a total of 40 gen2 lanes available off the IOH.  The two x16 lanes eat up the majority of those.  Other PCIe slots can vary based on the platform (also note some onboard devices can eat up PCIe lanes as well...making them unavailable to be used in slots).

30 series changes the architecture again with the high performance PCIe lanes (now gen3) running off the CPU(s) instead of the IOH (now PCH).

All that being said, you are correctly stating how PCIe behaves.  x16 slots are  *not* relegated only to video.  ANY PCIe card can run in a x16 slot, even if it's a x8, x4, or x1 card.  The ability to downtrain slots to match the card installed is something that's been a part of PCIe spec since day 1.

erik

erik wrote:

an x16 slot by design can use x16, x8, x4, and x1 devices.   so, yes, you may install a RAID controller in the x16 slot.

all x16 PCIe slots in the 10- and 20-series thinkstations are 2.0 spec.

psuturtle is correct.   i meant to say "x16" in the last sentence as i was already talking about x16 slots and made the omission in a late night brain fart.   mea culpa.

post above corrected.

psuturtle
Topics: 7
Kudos: 137
Solutions: 87

That's ok, I just did the same thing in my post.  Meant to say x16 slots are not only relegated to video cards.

That's what I get for taking a few days off :smileyhappy:

SCSI Port
BoHick

gents - so your last replies beg the question: how do i determine on my machine if the PCI and PCIe x4 slots are 1.0 or 2.0? would that be in a detailed schematic i don't see in the maintenance manual, perhaps (which overall is great, btw)?

S10 - 642327A