Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
wesley7777
Accepted Solution

S20 and SPDIF Port

Hello,

I am in the market for a new computer since my old HP died and I really like the S20. I would like to put on of my old graphics card into the new S20, a Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT because it has a HDMI port on it and I use it to drive my television. However, to have sound go out from the HDMI port on the Geforce you must connect a SPDIF cable on the Geforce to the a SPDIF port on the motherboard. My question is there a SPDIF port somewhere on the motherboard within a S20? I looked but I never saw one anywhere listed. Thank you for the help!

Chris

community supermod
erik

Re: S20 and SPDIF Port

welcome to the forum!

unfortunately the S20 has no internal SPDIF output.   you'd either need to fabricate an external cable to bridge with the input on your video card, connect the external SPDIF directly to your TV if it accepts divided video/audio sources, or find an aftermarket sound card with SPDIF output to provide an internal connection.

if a single point of connection is absolutely important then i would recommend an aftermarket sound card with an internal SPDIF output.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

psuturtle
Topics: 9
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 101

I could be wrong here, but couldn't you simply use one of the Fermi graphics cards with display port and the integrated audio codec (on Fermi)?  I "think" you might be able to accomplish the same thing with this....of course you'd have to grab a DP to HDMI converter, but those are pretty common now.

It's been a while, but I think at one point we had a setup doing just this in our lab that worked pretty well.

community supermod
erik

great point.   many desktop fermi cards even have HDMI on-board negating the need for an adapter, or, worse case, a mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter.

even though they aren't officially supported in a thinkstation, most of the GTX 500 series cards have HDMI with onboard audio.   that might be the best option if TV output is important.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

psuturtle
Topics: 9
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 101

Not to mention using the Fermi-based codec should also eliminate the chance of running into AACS errors (usually due to unprotected data paths) that you can sometimes run into when using a discrete card and then a seperate audio codec on the motherboard.