Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
JaronRH
Accepted Solution

ThinkStation E30 Second Hard Drive (SATA Port Question)

I've got an E30 computer with a 500 GB main harddrive and DVD burner.  I'd like to add a second harddrive as a data drive to my system.  However, the E30 only has 2 SATA III ports and one is being used by the 500GB Harddrive ("SATA Connector 1") and the 2nd is being used by the DVD burner  ("SATA Connector 2")!  Is there any reason why I couldn't move the DVD burner to the SATA II port ("SATA connector 3") and use the SATA III connector for the harddrive?

Thanks!

(see page 11 of http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/0a74582.pdf)

BTW, I'm using the ThinkStation E30 7824-57U type/model.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
JaronRH

Re: ThinkStation E30 Second Hard Drive (SATA Port Question)

[ Edited ]

Windows claims to have the TS-H653J drive for the burner. If that's the case, the owners manual for that drive (http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=1601&prd_mdl_cd=TS-... says it's a SATA I interface. If that's the case here, what a waist of a SATA III port!

community supermod
erik

welcome to the forum!

yes, you may move the drives around to install a new HDD on the SATA III port.   i'm sure it was set up that way for convenience since neither optical drives nor mechanical HDDs can leverage SATA III speeds.   in fact, HDDs still haven't broken SATA II so in your case it really doesn't matter unless you're going with an SSD.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 ULV · X60T SXGA+ · s30 · 600

Ctrl-Alt-Del
JaronRH

Thanks erik!  That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure I wasn't mising some abscure reason why it was setup this way.  I'm installing a 1 TB WD Black drive so I may just put it on the SATA II port anyway since reviews show it maxing out at 300 MB/s anyway.

Thanks again!

psuturtle
Topics: 9
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 106

Well, there are technically "6Gb/s (SATA3)" HDDs out there now.  But Eric is correct in that the real bottleneck is that you simply can't spin the drive fast enough to get that kind of bandwidth.  For this reason, you'll see a more notable improvment in going from a SATA2 to SATA3 SSD as compared to going from a SATA2 to SATA3 spinning drive (I think I said that correctly).

That being said, if you have SATA3 drives and SATA3 ports available, then it's a no brainer.  If you have to move it to a SATA2 port, you're likely not going to see a performance hit. I would caution you about using SATA3 drives (especially older ones) on SATA2 ports though as there is an industry wide Intel chipset issue with the way those drives auto-negotiate speed.  Most drive vendors did implement FW fixes on their SATA3 drives that resolved this issue, but it's still something to watch out for.  The symptom from this issue is during boot, the drive won't negotiate correctly and will not be visible to the system.

There's absolutely no benefit of attaching an optical drive to a SATA3 port though.  If it came that way from Lenovo, then chances are it's being done for ease of manufacturing or some other simple reason.  So you'd be OK in moving your optical over to a SATA2 port.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
JaronRH

Thanks for the reply. I ended up just pluggin it into the free SATA II port. Haven't had any issues with the drive so far!
community supermod
erik

i agree with psuturtle.   just for clarification, by my saying "broken SATA II" i was referring to the speed and not the interface.   i have two SAS 6Gbps drives on a SAS 3Gbps controller and they're limited to about 160 MB/sec sequential speeds—well below the theoretical interface limit.

SATA 6Gbps will prove beneficial with a SATA III SSD, although most people won't be able to tell a difference over SATA 3Gbps outside of benchmarks or constantly moving large files.

anyway, that's a whole other discussion. :smileywink:

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 ULV · X60T SXGA+ · s30 · 600

Ctrl-Alt-Del
JaronRH

No mater what the case is, I took your advice and switch the Optical with the HDD so that my HDD is now on a SATA III port.

Thanks for your help!