Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
saegeb2000

ThinkStation E30 resume from hibernation itself

Hi

I'm using a ThinkStation  E30, I want to use hibernation, the machine starts the hibernation process and it finishes properly, then it shuts down, then after aproximately five seconds the machine turns on itself automatically and windows resumes from hibernation.

How can I keep the machine in hibernation mode? 

psuturtle
Topics: 8
Kudos: 146
Solutions: 96

Re: ThinkStation E30 resume from hibernation itself

If you are comfortable running command lines, then right after the system wakes itself unexpectedly, run cmd.exe as administrator, and then run "powercfg -lastwake".  This should report back as to what device/event caused the last wakeup. 

From there, you can work to narrow/eliminate the problem.

Fanfold Paper
saegeb2000

Thanks for the quick reply

Here is the message I receive after "powercfg -lastwake"

Recuento de historial de activación - 1
Historial de activación [0]
Recuento de origen de activación - 0

I have windows 7 Enterprise (Spanish Language), here is the translation (I found another user posting about a similar problem and he executed same command)

capitalizable down payment history - 1
capitalizable running [0]
capitalizable many sources - 0 

How can I use this information?

Best Regards.

psuturtle

I don't think the translator is working well :smileyhappy:  Unfortunately, from your data and what I can decipher from it, there's nothing useful there.

I just ran it on my thinkpad for a comparison:

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History [0]

Wake Source Count - 1

Wake Source [0]

Type: Device

Instance Path : ACPI\PNP0C0D\2&daba3ff&3

Friendly Name:

Description: ACPI Lid

Manufacturer : <standard system device>

So you can see from mine, my last wake event was when I opened the lid on my thinkpad (to bring it out of S3 standby).  To be clear, there are a couple of things you need to do for this to be successful:

1.  Run cmd.exe as administrator

2.  You need to have the system in the "failing config" before running this command line.  So in your case, you need to have the system do it's "resume itself from S4 hibernate" issue and immediately upon getting to a workable desktop, run powercfg -lastwake.  Otherwise, if there are other ACPI transitions before you run powercfg, it won't point you at the right problem.

Fanfold Paper
saegeb2000

It doesn´t matter how soon I execute lastwake, I'm getting same data. I checked event viewer and I got this information:

- System
- Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter
[ Guid] {CDC05E28-C449-49C6-B9D2-88CF761644DF}
EventID 1
Version 1
Level 4
Task 0
Opcode 0
Keywords 0x8000000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2012-03-27T01:28:35.655033100Z
EventRecordID 31712
- Correlation
[ ActivityID] {49EE2E56-8484-4903-953D-82602EE8FAEF}
- Execution
[ ProcessID] 1792
[ ThreadID] 6392
Channel System
Computer cfe_48-PC
- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-19
- EventData
SleepTime 2012-03-27T01:28:23.964427100Z
WakeTime 2012-03-27T01:28:33.822505000Z
SleepDuration 2059
WakeDuration 322
DriverInitDuration 147
BiosInitDuration 4340
HiberWriteDuration 0
HiberReadDuration 0
HiberPagesWritten 0
Attributes 17408
TargetState 4
EffectiveState 4
WakeSourceType 0
WakeSourceTextLength 0
WakeSourceText
WakeTimerOwnerLength 0
WakeTimerContextLength 0
WakeTimerOwner
WakeTimerContext

I can´t see any useful information there, I can´t get the wake source using lastwake or system event viewer, are there any other way to do it?
psuturtle

If I had to guess, it's more than likely your network connection that is set to allow wake events, and depending on what wake events it's set to allow (anything or only magic packet), that could easily be what's waking your system up.

If you don't need wake to be supported by the network, disable that (device properties, power management tab) and see if it goes away. 

powercfg -lastwake is really a useful tool in trying to figure this stuff out.  I had a really random case of unintended wake on one of my systems not long ago, and it was due to windows media player waking the system to go out and check for updates at like 3am every tuesday or something.  Only way I found it was by using powercfg -lastwake.

Fanfold Paper
saegeb2000

Sorry I forgot to mention it, disable all wake options in BIOS was the first thing I did.

I don't think I have some event like media player because my computer doesn't turn on at specified time, it simple turn back on every time I try to hibernate it. The machine turns on aproximately five seconds after hibernation process finishes. 

erik

what expansion cards and peripherals are connected to your system?   what size and quantity of memory modules do you have installed?

if you haven't already, you might try disconnecting everything and removing any unnecessary cards to see if that changes hibernation behavior.   you might also try going down to one memory module to shrink the hiber file size.   if things improve then work your way backward by installing memory, then re-installing expansion cards, and finally re-connecting peripherals.

one other thing to try is setting your system on the "high performance" power scheme.   this might eliminate some timeout variables in the OS.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Fanfold Paper
saegeb2000

It seems like a good idea, I'm checking with vendor because I'm at work, the machine is new and I don't want to lose warranty, the vendor is going to do some tests with another machine.

I will keep you informed. 

Fanfold Paper
saegeb2000

[ Edited ]

the technician said that thinkstation E30 does not have hibernation feature.