Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
SurferGuy

Thinkstation D20 & Quad SLI Configuration using 2 X Nvidia N295GTX Problem.

I got the new D20 with Dual Quad-Core W5580 Processors, 16GB RAM, 2 SAS HDs.  Tried to install 2 IDENTICAL Nvidia N295GTX GPUs with its SLI connector, at the BIOS level, it gave me one log beep & 3 consecutive ones & the Monitor is Blank. Checked the BIOS & enabled the SLI GPUs to communicate with each other through the SLI Flex connector. Still didn't work. bearing in mind that i've corrrectly connected the GPU power cables (6&8 Pin cables for each card). Upgraded the BIOS to the latest version. I installed each card seperately, they worked perfectly, Problem starts when i install them in a Quad SLI configuration.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,203
Solutions: 1,278

Re: Thinkstation D20 & Quad SLI Configuration using 2 X Nvidia N295GTX Problem.

what is the total power draw of the these two dual GPU cards??? Is there sufficient power for the GPU from the power supply??? 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
erik

SurferGuy - welcome to the forum!

one long and three short beeps is a keyboard error.   are you sure it isn't one long and two short beeps?   if so, this means your video cards are incompatible for some reason.   i don't know if this is a BIOS limitation or something limiting the D20 from working with four GPU cores.   since the D20 was originally intended to be used as a workstation, it's possible that dual GTX 295s were never tested in these systems since these are desktop/gaming cards.

this isn't caused by insufficient power.   if this were the case, the GTX 295s themselves would beep.   the PSU on the D20 is rated to 1080W and natively supports dual 6+8 pin PCIe power sockets.   1080W is plenty for dual GTX 295s at 289W each as long as you aren't somehow running over 500W of other accessories.

at this point i suggest calling service to see if they have any suggestions.   as far as i know, your cards aren't officially supported and may not even work at this point in time.   a BIOS update may change this in the future but i cannot speak in more detail at this point in time.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Ctrl-Alt-Del
SurferGuy

erik, i appreciate your prompt & detailed reply. It's  one long beep & 2 short ones, my bad. I totally agree with you that it's a BIOS issue not supporting the 2 cards in Quad SLI configuration, as the the 1080W PSU is more than sufficient for the 2 GPUs in terms of wattage & cabling. i will follow-up on the BIOS updates. 
erik

do the cards work if installed simultaneously but not connected with the SLI cable?   this will at least let us know if this has to do with BIOS support or quad-SLI support.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
SurferGuy

I tried to connect both GPUs without the SLI connector, it gave me the same beep sequence & blank screen on startup.
erik

[ Edited ]

in that case, the cards themselves aren't compatible with the D20 for whatever reason.   i suggest calling lenovo support to see if they have any input.   right now i don't know if this would take a simple BIOS change or if there is a more complicated issue here.

since these cards aren't officially supported, you may just have to buy different cards.   i'm not a gamer and am not sure what to recommend besides two GTX 285s.   i personally use quadro FX cards and am not up on the desktop/gaming card market.

(edit: typo)

Message Edited by erik on 07-28-2009 11:53 AM

Paper Tape
StinkPadKid

Hi Surf,

Did you say that you got one 295 to work?  I have the same machine with the dual quad core W5580's and I can't even get one alone to work. Which BIOS version do you have? tks.

Kid

Paper Tape
StinkPadKid

No response? :smileyhappy: Tks? :smileyhappy:
Ctrl-Alt-Del
SurferGuy

My Bios Ver. 61KT23AUS