Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
cajetan_jacob
Accepted Solution

Thinkstation d10 usb ports disconnect randomly.

I am not a native English speaker but I will try my best to describe my problem. Strange things happened one year ago. Drives started to disconnect. Even the keyboard had no connection to the mainboard anymore. Seconds later the usb ports started to work again. The same phenomenon started to happen twice a day. One week ago the mainboard had to be replaced by Lenovo. I have the newest bios update installed. Today I had the same issues with the new mainboard. The keyboard was disconnected. My OS is Windows Vista Professional.

Is this really a hardware problem? Can anyone help me please?

erik

Re: Thinkstation d10 usb ports disconnect randomly.

welcome to the forum!

if the motherboard was replaced and this still happens, it's most likely a corrupt USB driver.   have you tried a clean installation of your OS?

i had this happen once on a thinkstation D10 running server 2008 (which is the same kernel as vista) and reinstalling the OS fixed the problem.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Paper Tape
cajetan_jacob

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I will consider doing so, but today I had trouble with the start up process again: Only jet fans and no signal for the monitors. I had to start it twice. The system is now runnig. 

erik

write down all of your BIOS settings and clear the CMOS.   after powering the system down, disconnect the power cable and hold the power button a few seconds until you hear the capacitors drain, then follow this procedure to clear the CMOS.   once cleared, restore your settings and boot into windows as normal.

also, what USB devices, hubs, or peripherals do you have connected to the system when it malfunctions?   have you tried only connecting what's absolutely necessary (such as the keyboard) to rule out a bad device?

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP