Do you mean 
psuturtle
Topics: 9
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 101

Re: Xeon x5679

Info from Intel...

3.2GHz, 1066Mhz, 6.4 QPI, 115W TDP, 6 cores, 12MB cache

So again, not officially supported by any means, but I don't think there are technical limiations to using it.  The only concern I would have off the top of my head would be whether or not BIOS has the correct CPU patches in place to handle it, but I suspect it does.  There could also be issues with fan control depending on whether certain CPU specs are different that what we would normally expect.

I'd also go for the beefier heatsinks (130W), as the standard ones on C20/C20x are for up to 95W. 

CPU-Z is a decent utility, but we've found it's not always accurate, specifically for the very latest CPUs and off-roadmap SKUs.  Basically, CPU-Z is only as good as the HW they can get to test against it.  They usually do a good job of updating it to keep the utility up to date though.

psuturtle

Out of curiosity, where are you finding this CPU for sale?

community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]

in an "i'm about to eat crow on this one" twist of irony, i had the following screenshot sent to me with a disclaimer:

SLC2E.png

...the disclaimer being that the TDP was re-qual'd late 2010 at 115W down from 130W.   so, what psuturtle said above is correct and i'll be feasting on crow and humble pie this weekend for dinner. :smileysurprised:

apparently the X5679 was originally built for a contract with a PC manufacturer who goes by two initials.   it was spec'd for servers that needed fast cores for rendering but cost savings with lower memory speeds (and memory speed doesn't matter with rendering).   it was built from the i7-965 with its disabled features turned back on (second QPI, higher memory support, TXT, AES NI, etc.).   oddly enough, the i7-965 has two less cores yet retained the full 130W TDP by final production specs.   weird.

now i'm curious what was on the rest of this sheet.

(edit: clarification)

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Punch Card
gpsd

[ Edited ]

Wow, great information. And interesting too that there is value to be found (and money to be saved by a certain two-initialed company) in making such unique off roadmap cpus available in conjunction with intel.

They are being sold by an on-line etailer selling used server and workstation parts and equipment. They have since upped their price to just under $800 so no longer as interesting, especially given the uniqueness of the cpu.

psuturtle

From my contact with Intel, I can confirm what Erik is saying about the origins of this particular SKU (thus why I asked about who's selling them).  Makes sense.

I always double check these off-roadmap ones....everytime I make an assumption based on other CPUs and their specs, I turn out to be wrong.  So I'm right there with Erik on the eating crow part :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
gpsd

Hey, no need for anyone to be eating crow, especially on such an obscure cpu.

Punch Card
EsotericUser

gpsd wrote:

Hey, no need for anyone to be eating crow, especially on such an obscure cpu.

People are already eating mad cows and chickens. Next thing will be eating crows. No worries. They say it taste like chicken, I am sure they think everything tastes like chicken.

BTW: I am a vegetarian..I don't eat meat, fish, onions, garlic, eggs, mushrooms, high fructose corn syrup etc. :smileywink: