Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
BoHick

deleting dual boot OS

i only found one post that was somewhat applicable to my issue of removing a dual boot (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation/Thinkstation-E20-Dual-boot-from-Windows-7-into-XP/m-p/21871... and that led me on a merry chase. if this is useful to anyone else, great - if posting a solution as an FYI is inappropriate and i should wait to reply to someone with the same issue, pls let me know

the situation: my former IT guys installed W7 Pro x64 (thx, Lenovo, for the free upgrade from Vist Business :smileyhappy:) on a new partition alongside XP Pro x32 and it worked great, but i only kept using XP for my !@#$%^ genius scanner, which i have never gotten to run under XP Mode/Virtual PC in W7.

one day, after several months of XP inactivity, i decided to boot into it for some reason and had a BSOD. so then i set out to just eradicate the offending OS and its partition...simple, right? not in this case. i found the guys had put the W7 OS onto a logical drive not a primary:

Local Disk (C:smileyhappy:
156.71 GB NTFS
Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Logical Drive)

my boot.ini was on the XP partition and W7 uses bootmgr so i poked around and found that EasyBCD should take care of the issue by copying the boot.ini info to bootmgr on C:\ through this link in the SevenForums:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/209885-bootmgr-move-c-easybcd.html

again, not so easy. i could not move the bootmgr because of the logical status of the partition and also because the partition wasn't set to active; i converted the partition to active with no troubles under the native Disk Managment but failed when i tried to convert the partition to primary.i feared having to do a wipe and reinstall to tidy up as i saw some (forums unnamed) folks advocating.

i looked into it a bit further and found that i needed to use use a partition tool from bootable media (i used a CD with EaseUS Partition Master - the freeware version ) to convert to primary at boot and then i used the above link to copy the bootmgr to C:\ with EasyBCD

now my OS drive looks like so (the partition is large owing to the GIS files that like living there):

Local Disk (C:smileyhappy:
226.71 GB NTFS

Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

that solved the problem of the W7 OS being on an inactive, logical drive instead of an active primary - and in future if i set up a dual boot for any other OS, i'll make sure the disk is set as primary before i install and the backwater IT guys here will never touch my machine again :smileywink:

S10 - 642327A