Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
jdeb
Accepted Solution

eComstation and S20 415713U

I just ordered a S20 from the outlet (couldn't pass up the price) and my old workstation is getting long in the tooth, my rendering takes a long time, I am embarrased to say how long as I am pretty tight with the money. I can't wait for it to arrive...

I was wondering three things...

1. Has anyone loaded any version of Serenity Systems,  eComstation (OS/2 Warp)?

2. if I manage to get  eComstation (OS/2) loaded, does it void the warranty?

3. I am reading mixed or limited reviews on the Intel E5502, what does it compare to ? It has some wierd specs for a dual core. I am more intrigued than anything

community supermod
erik

Re: eComstation and S20 415713U

welcome to the forum!

i haven't used OS/2 warp in ages.   i've forgotten more about that OS than i used to know. :smileysurprised:

in any case, you won't void your warranty by installing an unsupported OS.

the E5502 is an entry-level Xeon.   i'm not sure what it would compare to in the Core i-series procs but imagine it should get you by on light rendering.   keep in mind that rendering is a CPU-bound task.   if your software is capable of multithreading then the E5502 might be a limiting factor.   if your software can only use one core then the E5502 won't be much of a limitation.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Token Ring
jdeb

Thanks for the quick reply. It will more than likely smoke what I have. I am currently using a IBM Intellistation Z pro dual pentium pro 200's, 384 mb edo memory and a Matrox  G200 pci card. Everything still works, only replaced a couple of hard drives all these years. I think I bought this in 96 or 97? I can't remember, anyway it has served me well. I will have to more than likely get with the program and try some new software and operating system, Have no idea what vista is like. I like my X60 laptop but I do not really care for XP all that much but I am getting use to it. I am using some old software for my art work, I have no idea if its heavy rendering or not, I usually wait around 16 to 24 hours sometimes a little longer for an image to render right now (calagari true space for win 3.1) and Pov / Forspace for OS/2. I can probably spring for a quad if needed but I will wait and see. I see I have a full gammot of cpu's to upgrade to but man they are expensive! Some are more than what I payed for the machine I have coming.

The specs for what I have coming are e5502, 2 - 150gb 10000 rmb 2.5 drives, fx1800 pci express card, dvd rom. I am excited to get it, hope it is better and faster than what I have. I am going to create recovery discs first thing and try and load os2 on it, this would be great if it works. I managed to get os/2 to work on the X60 but it was a pain and couldn't get the wireless to work. I also have a demo cd for eComstation to see what will happen, it appears to have better hardware support but will see. I would be happy to cut the renders in half. Sorry for the long winded story.

community supermod
erik

yeah, that S20 configuration will be worlds faster than the ISZ it's replacing.   if your rendering times aren't cut in half, i'd be surprised.

definitely post back when you get it all set up.   i'd love to hear how it works out for you.

if you have any questions in the meantime, don't hesitate to ask.

enjoy the new S20! :smileyvery-happy:

Token Ring
dlabun

I have run eComstation 1.2R with some limited success. Due to the lack of drivers alot of the Lenovo specific hardware didn't work to its full potiental. With that being said, I was able to surf the internet and mess with eCom in general.

No version OS/2 will load....There is a memory limitation that causes it to throw stop codes. I believe the limit is 64Mb.

Token Ring
jdeb

Thank you for that information, I really appreciate it. I know that I can run all my OS/2 apps on eComstation but that is if I can can that loaded. I was made aware that version 2.0 is soon to be released and there should be a greater hardware compatibility. I am not holding my breath as I have already figured out my software transitions for both Windows and Linux, it is mainly the time involved to learn new programs. I bought this for the great price and I am excited and hope to get 5 or more years out of it. I am way overdue and ready for the transition. I like red hat a lot, it feels more natural to me than Windows but I am going to give Vista a real good try. I noticed the reviews on Vista are real bad and most people tell me to get Windows 7 but it looks the same to me. I am open for suggestions on operating systems too since I have accepted the fact I need to learn a new OS anyway.

community supermod
erik

jdeb wrote:

I noticed the reviews on Vista are real bad and most people tell me to get Windows 7 but it looks the same to me.

that's like saying windows 95, 98, 2000, and XP should all run the same because they look similar. :smileywink:

even though the vista and 7 kernels are similar in core structure, 7 runs a lot better.   but, i never really had any problems with vista or server 2008.   use whichever OS you know and prefer.

Token Ring
jdeb

I thought I would post back as the system is almost 2 years old. What a machine is all I can say.:smileyvery-happy: Never has blue-screened, running 24/7 since the day I got it. Render times are not even comparable to old system.Replaced the bad caps on the old system, loaded Linux Mint on it, and donated it . Vista has been fine although I prefer OS/2 but it was time to move on I guess. 

I ended up loading eComstation on a Lenovo X60 and that has done the trick converting old files and stuff to windows applications. eComstation was easy to install, it recognized everything which shocked me. The problem with loading eComstation on the S20 was the video card. There were no accelerated drivers for it and the display was pretty ugly saying it nicely:smileywink:

Great machine and I have recommended many people to the Lenovo site and the Outlet as well. I know of 12 people that have bought systems or laptops and all have had the same great experience I have had.

Token Ring
jdeb

Thought I would touch base again. I added another 8GB or memory to the S20 and it renders even a littler faster now. Overall performance increase with 12gb is noticable. What a beast.

I also just ordered a ThinkPad Tablet from the Outlet store, 25% off :smileyvery-happy: I can't wait to get that and show off to customers and friends. I should become a Lenovo salesman :smileywink:

Token Ring
jdeb

Touching base again. :smileyvery-happy: Another year later. What a great machine (S20). zero problems and thousands of renders later. I have not turned this box off almost 2 years, just keeps performing with perfect stability.

Just received my W530. Unreal is all I can say.  Perfect color. Perfect travel creation tool. I go out into the field and sketch on the Lenovo Tablet I, quick edit on the W530, and explode on the S20 when I get hiome. Best OEM hardware on the planet, Lenovo rocks for PC Artists.