Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
BoHick
Accepted Solution

who to call for parts? no, really...

i've been on the phone (from the various numbers i find listed on the websites) with at least a half dozen people from Lenovo and IBM all telling me to call someone else; i decided to follow Erik's advice and go with all box stock parts (aowch - prices are dear tho!), but lordy is this getting frustrating (and expensive) to make all these unproductive calls

i am in Viet Nam. i need replacement parts.i thot this would be dead simple :smileysad: i have all my FRUs but:

1] i need clarification on which miscellaneous parts kit contains the spring retainer clips on the plastic caddies for the HDD array - once is sprung and hangs up

2] i need to know who exactly i can call to talk to about this, days/hours of operation and

3] how i can get my parts ordered and sent to Viet Nam before i get any older :smileysurprised:

any clarity here would be most hiughly appreciated

S10 - 642327A
community supermod
erik

Re: who to call for parts? no, really...

try the following link to purchase online.   this says it's for australia but originated from the same link on ibm.com for vietnam and other asia pacific locations.

http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/asiapacific/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/default/CategoryDisplay?storeId=36...

let us know if that works for you.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

SCSI Port
BoHick

after a very long odyssey (referred to 3 different IBM departments) i was almost able to get the info i needed...almost. all the fans were straightforward enough

we got sorted that the miscellaneous parts kits (FRU 41R5493) was truly discontinued and replaced by the martell version (FRU 41R5614, which Australia didn't have, only the US) but i still wasn't able to find out what's in the kit - couldn't see paying $57 for a parts kit that no one could itemize: either way its for all models

all i need from it (assuming the part is in there) are the clips for the caddy that slips into the drive bay and locks it in - one is sprung - but without knowing if the clip or the entire caddy is there, well

anyhow, thx for the effort. if anyone has bought this parts kit and knows what's in it pls do tell.

S10 - 642327A
community supermod
erik

my fault - i totally overlooked your other questions.

the MPK will contain a new HDD caddy or two along with a few other plastic chassis components like the PCI retainer arm.    the clips you're referencing should be in there.   i don't have an itemized list of what's inside.   sometimes the HMM will specify but i haven't seen that happen yet for thinkstation.   perhaps psuturtle will chime in here.

SCSI Port
BoHick

no worries erik, not like you don't have alot to do with all the questions on the forum - appreciate you came back on the query - and that settles that. i figured it had to be in this misc kit because the other misc kit is for bezel bits. now i can finalize the order...

but just in case you or psturtle know off the top of your head, FRU 41R5484 (the rear fan) is out of stock and IBM wants to sub FRU 41R5664: do you know if the specs are the same or would naturally be the same, meaning it's an exact substitution? i imagine with IBM it would have to be.

i only ask because by the time Parts gets my reply on the change to the order it'll be weekend (so i won't likely hear back till my Tuesday) and my stock parts are the last order for my refurbish/upgrade box and my palms are getting sweaty for a serious tinkering session :smileyhappy:

S10 - 642327A
community supermod
erik

subs are typically a change in vendor or minor update to the design.   if a FRU subs to another number than it will be a 1:1 replacement.   if you speak to an agent or look the parts up online, the description between the old and new FRUs should be similar.

41R5664 looks like a valid fan FRU for the S10.   you should be fine with that part.

SCSI Port
BoHick

my gut told me the same thing - goog to know it's staying true to form - but i figured best to chk w/those in the know :smileyhappy:

S10 - 642327A
SCSI Port
BoHick

Homer Moment - forgot to ask - is there a matrix of substitute part interchanges and/or any refs to 3rd party vendors who've bought up stock of now discontinued lenovo parts?

i downloaded the part matrix and ref the hardware maintenance manual often (i didn't find the sub FRU when i searched the HMM PDF was why i asked). if there are other refence materials for FRUs and maybe even a full schematic of the S10 this might save me asking questions i could otherwise answer myself that would be grand and save you folks some time :smileywink:

S10 - 642327A
community supermod
erik

once a system hits EOL (end of life) the documentation doesn't always get updated.   this includes both the HMMs and online parts lists found on the support site and linked in the sticky on this board.

rest assured that the parts line always has access to the full matrix including any subs, it's just a little difficult for end users to access.   perhaps a more consumer-friendly means to purchasing parts online could be developed.   things can always be improved. :smileywink:

SCSI Port
BoHick

i suspected that would be the case, but...EOL? no way! i figure with a little love this puppy's good for another 5 years.only issue i've ever had wsa a power source replacement and warranty covered it no dramas

buddy of mine had a turn of the century thinkpad he just finally replaced and he traveled it all the time on top of it being his only computer. plus i made a friend in parts thru this odyssey who i'm sure will help with any tracking down subs that might become necessary :smileyhappy:

ok, enuf on this thread...

S10 - 642327A