Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
dolmen
Accepted Solution

5.5 GB in System Update directory: cleanup bug?

Hi,

I found out that the directory "C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\session" on my system contains 5.5 GB of data. It looks like most subdirectories are dated 2009-11-20 (probably when I upgraded Windows from Vista to 7), but some are dated 2011-02-16 (probably the latest time I ran System Update with bug updates).

I suppose I can safely delete most files there, but I would like a confirmation.

Also, it seems there is a bug in System Update as it does not cleanup its old files. What is the process to report such ThinkVantage tools bugs to the development team?

Thanks for your help.

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

Re: 5.5 GB in System Update directory: cleanup bug?

I show 58 items for 535 KB in that folder I don't know if they can be deleted I would copy some where & make an restore point first

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Punch Card
twu2

just keep 'temp' and 'system' folder, then you can delete all other folder under sessions folder.

or use this tool to clean the folder:
http://fetag.net/index.php?q=node/19
Ctrl-Alt-Del
dolmen

Another way to clean it is to uninstall System Update and reinstall it manually.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/tvsu-update.html

Fanfold Paper
wearenotamused

I've done this in the past. A couple days ago when uninstalling the ATI video drivers I got a dialog from Windows asking for a source file that apparently used to be in a subdirectory of sessions. So this may have side effects.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone from Lenovo would chime in here or on some FAQ about System Update on the role of the sessions directory. The constant growth of this directory (into the GB range) is not something you can expect users to just ignore!
Paper Tape
SvendK

I wouldn't say this post is solved. There might be a solution to the immidiate problem - clean up of the sessions folder, but as wearenotamused writes: "The constant growth of this directory (into the GB range) is not something you can expect users to just ignore!"

I myself has over 3,5 GB in this folder, and while I have lots of space on my disk, if the files are temp files, it should go away.

Is there an acknowledgement from Lenovo on this - is it a bug or is it by design (and why)?

Best regards

Svend

Paper Tape
SvendK

http://fetag.net/index.php?q=node/19 <- broken link - what is the name of the tool, maybe we can find it somewhere else?
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

SvendK wrote:

Is there an acknowledgement from Lenovo on this - is it a bug or is it by design (and why)?

It's a bad design and will be fixed in a future release.  I don't have the details about when it will be fixed.

Paper Tape
SvendK

Okay, that's great. Any official work-around?
Or should we not delete any files in here?
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

SvendK wrote:
Okay, that's great. Any official work-around?
Or should we not delete any files in here?

Did you read this thread?  A good work-around is posted in message #4

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/5-5-GB-in-System-Update-directory-cleanup-bug/...