Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
hookins

Re: Access Connection SMS Menu disappeared!!!!

Bananaman

Firstly mate, you are one brave fruit! :-)

Secondly, Im afraid it's the same business. I downloaded the correct file (85c728ww) installed it over the version 5.72 I had previously installed. Forced restart. No change. I even went as far as removing Access Connections completely, rebooting, reinstalling from the correct file, rebooted and absolutely no difference.

Thirdly, I checked the links closely and if you go to the support page you linked and see the address of the actual link for 85c728ww you will see its the same file repository that I put up a few days ago. See above. I should have looked there first as it would have saved me some time and effort but also at least I know I was thorough.

What I did find almost amusing (as there is little point getting any more pissed off at this), when I uninstalled AC, during the uninstall process, it actually had the nerve to ask me, "Would you like to keep existing SMS messages / Phonebook. See that is quite funny isnt it? :-). So I guess this brings me to the next point...

So sadly we are no closer to the solution other than a comment made by johnripper earlier that its only available for certain operators? Or as it says in the 5.72 readme on the same page:

[New functions or enhancements]
- Added support for SMS for AT&T, Vodafone, Telstra and Telecom New Zealand
  networks. This SMS feature supports only English.

If this is the case then it's quite sad as "other" Lenovo users will have to continue using the Sony software that does not discriminate on operators or regions.

Thanks for the try there Bananaman!

Cheers

Hoox

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi hookins!

Thanks for coming back with your result. Sorry 5.72 doesn't help you :smileysad:. It may help others... I have no inside information about what's going on here.

One suggestion I have is to see if your carrier's connection utility supports SMS. You don't HAVE to have Access Connections installed to use your WWAN card (indeed if you just want the data connection, Windows does fine on its own).

Hope this helps.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Serial Port
hookins

Bananaman....

Tell me, did you install it and do you actually have access to the new SMS function? As a volunteer do you own a Lenovo laptop with Mobile Broadband or do you have a more reliable Sony Vaio? :-)

Another twist!

I had a lightbulb moment that lasted for around 4 seconds!

Go to the installation directory: C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Access Connection and you will see a lovely little application called, wait for it, SMS_Application.

So its confirmed, 5.72 does have it. Try run it. It shows in Task Manager for 2 seconds before vanishing again. How does one get this app up and running? Or is that just a service file?

Oh well... I think Im about to give up.

Later all

Hoox

Serial Port
hookins

Thanks bananaman

Yes the carrier Cell C in South Africa most certainly supports SMS. On their "own" branded software that operates as the application for the USB stick modem they not only have SMS funtionality but also show usage cap balance and even handles service messages. You know, the shortcuts for things like cell phone banking and balance enquiries, eg. *140*321# for menu driven funtionality. Unfortunately I chose not to spend the $100 on this modem as my X201 tablet has Mobile Broadband so I felt I didnt need the additional hardware. I also dont want to buy this modem now as Im somewhat of a globe-trotter (not as in Harlem fame) and I will always be using different operators from around the world.

Thanks again for your bravery in throwing in your support here!

Regards

Hoox

Community SuperMod
bananaman

No I haven't tried the Access Connections SMS function, but I expect we'll be hearing from others soon! I use WWAN data connections, only occasionally, and Windows 7 does the job for me.

Have you tested to see if the Cell C connection manager will recognize and work with your WWAN card?

Serial Port
hookins

Hey

Yeah I did install the Cell C software and gave it a run but it's actually specific to the Huawei data card and branded as Cell C. As shown:

http://www.cellc.co.za/devices/page/devices/21.6Mbps_USB_Speed_Stick

and

http://www.cellc.co.za/devices/page/devices/7.2Mbps_USB_Speed_Stick

There is no way to change this and make it look at the internal Lenovo Gobi 2000 device. I did try that because if that had worked it would have been the answer and I would have made it available for everyone here. If someone can get it to work then hullelujah! But I doubt it.

http://www.cellc.co.za/internet/page/drivers/downloads (Please note! This is NOT a solution! Merely a suggestion for those who want to give it a shot!)

Good luck!

Cheers

Hoox

Punch Card
jamesnb

I now totally do not understand why such a big (and reputable) company like IBM/Lenovo is loosing out on this little kinda kid's game???? The little piece WWAN-USB modem sold on ebay or amazon for barely 20-30 bucks and it does great job of delivering SMS. Some even does MMS (more expensive than 30$ but less expensive than Gobi2000 built-in card).

Running out of patience now... really...!

Serial Port
hookins

Ok peeps. I think I have some "almost" fantastic news!

The quick good news is that SMS is included in 5.72 and does work

Check it out:smileysad:Excuse the poor quality - reduced for file size)

Of course, where there is a good usually comes the equal and opposite bad news: It IS operator specific.

Let me explain, please be patient. Im no programmer or cell operator and I just figured it out by trial and error and a little bit of good hunting around. Perhaps there is someone out there that can help make more sense of it but for now this is as good as it gets.

You will see from my earlier posts I was referring to my cellular operator as Cell C in South Africa. While I was going through the Access Conections folder under C:\Program Files\Lenovo, I came upon an interesting looking file so I opened it with Dreamweaver: AC_wanprofiles.xml. Kind of self explanitory in hindsight I guess. On closer and lengthy inspection I found that it lists a lot of global operators but it does not list Cell C. It did however list Vodacom SA (South Africa) : Line 955 to Line 979. I will list it here:

<profile>
    <mcnc>655001</mcnc>
    <carrierid>103</carrierid>
    <SMSSupport>false</SMSSupport>
    <editable>false</editable>
    <locked>false</locked>
    <country>South Africa</country>
    <nwprovider>Vodacom SA</nwprovider>
    <setting>
      <type>name</type>
      <value>Vodacom SA</value>
    </setting>
    <setting>
      <type>apn</type>
      <value>internet</value>
    </setting>
    <setting>
      <type>acprofilename</type>
      <value>Vodacom Mobile Broadband</value>
    </setting>    
    <setting>
      <type>authtype</type>
      <value>PAP</value>
    </setting>

See highlighted lines SMSSupport and Editable as false. I changed them both to true and rebooted. Fortunately I had an old Vodacom SA SIM card that I inserted and bingo it worked. I opened the SMS application. Unfortunately I have no credit on that card so I could not test it but I was able to read all the old existing SMSs on the SIM.

See the Location name in the image corresponds to the <type>acprofilename</type> <value>Vodacom Mobile Broadband</value> in the xml file.

The deal now that will be the only way to get this working is to make a copy of one of the profiles and edit it to your local provider settings (Obviously if your provider is listed simply make the falses true). Here's the catch though! You need to find your provider settings and the only distinguishable differences in the profiles are.

<mcnc>xxxxxx</mcnc>
    <carrierid>xxx</carrierid>

I wanted to test the change on Cell C in South Africa but I cannot find their mcnc & carrierid details anywhere. If someone can help here that would be fantastic, I would really appreciate it.

Please excuse the long and drawn out explaination. At least it works! Kind of!

Regards

Hoox

Serial Port
hookins

Here is a list of carriers I could find so far: http://www.larwe.com/technical/gsm_carriers.html

This list is not complete and it doesnt exactly tie up but it's pretty close. See the bottom of the list:

655-01?VodaCom-SA

And if you see the MCNC number for Vodacom SA in the XML file:

<mcnc> 655001 </mcnc>

I figured a simple exchange of a 0 in place of the - would sufice but there are some mcnc numbers that dont have a 0 in the 4th digit so I dont really know.

Sadly for me however its not that up to date as Cell C is a newer carrier in South Africa and this list doesnt show it so I cant test it. This could be one huge trial and error unless a more definitive list is made available.

Good luck!

Community SuperMod
bananaman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code