Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
johnripper

Re: Access Connection SMS Menu disappeared!!!!

[ Edited ]

Okay, this is what I found out so far, but I havent tryed ist jet:

MCNC is the combined number of MMC and MNC. You will find the entire list of MMC and MNC at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code#S

You provider is listed as well and the correct number ist 65507 for ne MCNC field.

Even I knew the MMC and MNC logic, I didnt know what MCNC stood for, but I found this via here: http://www.roamingzone.com/mnc/ (see hint on the top of the page)

But what is the carrier id? 

Blue Screen Again
johnripper

[ Edited ]

HAHA this is funny! Or no its not!

I inserted a non supported SIM card of O2 germany. After AC starts up (and connects to the mobile network) it notices that the sim is not supported and doesnt allow the SMS application to load.

You might see the SMS application toolbox for a while and can click on it but the app will open and close (as written from hookins before!). When you are connected to the mobile network, AC will recognice the not supported sim and will not show the toolbox and/or load the application.

However, now I inserted an vodafone sim into it (vodafone germany is supported), just for the sms feature to test. After the SMS applications loads and I see the text messages I sent before to the non supported sim card!!! So the text messages have been received by, you just cant load the application. I also can see that the text message is instantly delivered to the device, for types of sims. (Using a delivery report that comes back to sender).

But this is not enough. Connect the laptop with a not supported simcard to the mobile network and send a textmessage to it. You will see a message that a "SMS message arrived" and you will be asked if you want to reply or forward the text.

YOU JUST CANT OPEN THE SMS APPLICATION!!!

SO, this supported/not supported thing is just some kind of customer bothering!!

Serial Port
hookins

Hey Bananaman

Thanks for the list dude! Very helpful!

The carrier id is something I still have to hit and miss trial and error but at least it makes the task exponentially smaller!

Cheers

Hoox

Blue Screen Again
johnripper

[ Edited ]

Hey all,

the trick provided by hookins really works. There is just one or two things to pay attention to.

Just insert the following rows into the following file C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Access Connections\AC_wanprofiles.xml.

Insert it after the tag <XMLDATA>:

<profile>
    <mcnc>XXXXXX</mcnc>
    <carrierid>106</carrierid>
    <SMSSupport>true</SMSSupport>
    <editable>true</editable>
    <locked>false</locked>
    <country>COUNTRY</country>
    <nwprovider>PROVIDER</nwprovider>
    <setting>
      <type>name</type>
      <value>NEWCONNNAME</value>
    </setting>
    <setting>
      <type>apn</type>
      <value>APNYOURPROVIDER</value>
    </setting>
    <setting>
      <type>acprofilename</type>
      <value>NEWCONNNAME2</value>
    </setting>
    <setting>
      <type>authtype</type>
      <value>PAP</value>
    </setting>
  </profile>
  • XXXXXX: Replace the six X thru your MCNC. MCNC should be a six digit code. You can find your MCC and MNC on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code. The trick is that you may need to fill up the MCC and MNC with zeros in the front and then just place MCC and MNC togehter. Eg. if your MCC is 267 and your MNC 07 then MCNC is 267007. Your provider may have more than one MCNC, then just add them, devided by comma. Eg. "267001,267008,26701" etc.
  • 106: I played a litte around here, and I have no idea what this stands for. For my 106 just works like other codes as well. If this doesnt work for you (and your MCNC codes are correct), try to find a provider from your country and use the same carrier id then. 
  • PROVIDER: Place your provider here
  • NEWCONNNAME: Name that AC displayes for the Profile
  • NEWCONNNAME2: Internal Name
  • APNYOURPROVIDER: APN of your Provider or dataplan if required.
  • PAP: You may want/must ajust this.

You may also want to add more settings in the code before, then just look up the required setting commands in the file and place them between the profile tags.

Of course you must to this for every provider you want to have the SMS tool for.

Also note, that your computer is receiving the sms even if you didnt unlook the sms application for your provider, but you just can not start the application. However you will note that sms sent your computer will be delivered, if the sms application is unlooked for the provider or not!

I hope this helps, and special thanks to hookins for the inital hint!!

John Ripper!

Fanfold Paper
frcko

Last time I checked OneClickInternet did not require any modifications for SMS to work.  :smileyhappy:

Blue Screen Again
mknapp

that's maybe because Sony is a much better company than Lenovo and you don't need a PhD in computer science and programmer's skills to send a simple text message ....

Fanfold Paper
frcko

[ Edited ]

right on.

so let's stop breaking our heads about access connections and xml config file modifications just to get sms to work :-) Simple mind would think that Lenovo would have figured this out and learned some lessons already before they published AC 5.72

I suggest we stop this thread and discuss something else ...

I am unsubscribing from this thread.

Moderator edit: Topic to be avoided removed, per the Community Rules.

Blue Screen Again
mknapp

[ Edited ]

but this thread is too much fun to unsubscribe ... hahahaha :-)

Moderator edit: Topic to be avoided removed, per the Community Rules.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

bananaman wrote:

Access Connections 5.72 for Windows 7 is now on the support page:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-73682

Version 5.72 is the 85c728ww files. For some reason the 5.62 files are also listed. I've submitted a Site feedback form about this using the link on the left of the support page.

Please come back and share your experiences other members who have contributed to this thread!

The support page is now fixed. Not bad, less than 24 hours!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Serial Port
hookins

Im out of here. I have my Cell C connection working with SMS support:

To everyone who was involved constructively, thank you very much. A team effort makes for light work. I like a good challenge.

Look I agree its not the perfect situation and it shouldn't have to be this way but let's be honest, a quick change of an XML file and a reboot is not the end of the world. It's not uncommon these days for certain services to be geared towards specific providers. Take the iPhone for example. Locked to AT&T in the USA, O2 in the UK etc etc. This hasn't stopped the (unknown) thousands of people outside these areas and networks from buying the device and jailbreaking and unlocking the device. Myself included. And that is a MUCH bigger task you will agree if you have ever been through the painful process.

Complaining here isn't going to help though. Lenovo through very little communication has proved this. However, you now have a working solution beautifully detailed by johnripper (thanks dude) that works, takes less than 5 minutes and does not take rocket science. If you want it/need it that badly, dry your eyes and just do it. You now have all the information necessary for every carrier around the world.

I think I explained clearly enough earlier that I am no programmer and I certainly don't have a PhD in computer science, so if I can do it, so can anyone.

Thanks again to all the constructive input out there.

Take it easy!

Hoox