Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
hakre

Access Connection: WAN/WWAN not available

The Online Help states that Access Connection Software supports multiple Connectiontypes. The more well known are LAN or WLAN for example.

There are some types of connection that are not so broadly used. One is when you use a Wireless Connection to a Modem sothat no TCP/IP is provided wirelessly instead you create a PPP over Ethernet (wireless).

I just was happy when I saw that Access Connection Help stated that it support WAN and WWAN.

My Problem now is: If I follow the instructions in the online Help the needed Connection-Type of WAN or WWAN is simply missing in the drop-down list. It only provides 'Best Net' (DE: Bestes verfügnbares Netz) LAN, WLAN, Wired Broadband (DE: Festnetzbreitband (DSL oder Kabelmodem)) and Modem (DE: Wählverbindung (Modem oder Mobiltelefon)).

The exact Wording may differ on an english system, but the exact wording in my german online help does not match with anything in the german UI of Access Connection.

Where to I activate this WAN / WWAN options? How can I configure a PPP over Ethernet over Wireless Connection with Access Connections?
andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: Access Connection: WAN/WWAN not available

hakre,

it would be helpfull if you added which ThinkPad you have, (guessing a Z from your other posts?), maybe you could add the Type and Model number to your signature.

Which WWAN adapter? Only Lenovo internal adapters will show up in AC.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Serial Port
hakre

I was looking for WWAN on two models, one is the Z61p the other one is a T61. I think WWAN should be available on all Modells having a wireless lan card. Any further Ideas? I found another MenüPoint in the ThinkVantage Access Connection software related to WWAN, but it is greyed out (on both test systems): DE: Fenster ThinkVantage Access Connections Menu: Tools -> Drahtloses WAN (WWAN).

Maybe WWAN is deactivated because I need a 3G/GPRS/UMTS/HDSPA Wireless Adapter for it. If so I need to find a way how to configure a PPPoE over a Wireless Lan Adapter with ThinkVantage Access Connections. How could that be done?

Fanfold Paper
vijayb

You can try one of the following two methods.

Method 1) Create a profile for your Wireless LAN network and connect it. Make sure that "Disable wireless radio when switching to different location", is not selected. Now create a Wired Broadband profile and connect it. Now both the WLAN profile and broadband proiles will be connected by Access Connections and PPPoE should be established on top of Wireless network.

Method 2) Create a profile for your wireless LAN network. Select "Enable VPN Connection" and click on "Settings" button for VPN. Now select "Manually setup a VPN connection" and add/select the phonebook entry for your PPPoE connection. Now try to connect the WLAN profile. Once it connects, the PPPoE dialer should start automatically and PPPoE connection should be established on top of your WLAN network.

Please let me know if any of these solutions worked for you.

Serial Port
hakre

Thanks for you answer, I'll keep that in mind.

Additionally I think I made a mistake. WAN/WWAN should be available for Models with 3G / UMTS / GPRS / HDSPA Modems only. But the PPPOE over WLAN thingy isn't really solved anyway. Finally we have chosen to hack the router to enable full routing over WLAN and not that crippled PPPOE/WLAN.
billbolton
Topics: 69
Kudos: 202
Solutions: 104

hakre wrote:

But the PPPOE over WLAN thingy isn't really solved anyway.

Finally we have chosen to hack the router to enable full routing over WLAN and not that crippled PPPOE/WLAN.

It's not at all clear what it is you:

1.  Need to do.

2.  Are expecting Access Connection to be able to do.

Can you please explain more fully!

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo