Support in other languages: 
SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

Access Connections 5.50 doesn't Restore wireless connectivity

[ Edited ]

Good day,

As far as I can recall, it never worked properly. With wireless off, I rebooted to start fresher. Loading... loading... loading... done.:

Here's the path I then took:

ThinkVantage button > Power on Wireless Radio
LED lights up. I wait a minute....
no evidence of attempt to establish connection occurs. So I:

run ThinkVantage Access Connections > Tools tab > Location Switching
my network is listed (as usual). 97% 802.11n
[x] Enable automatic location switching is checked
[x] Include Ethernet connections is checked (for those times that I do wired)
[x] Preferred WLAN profile is checked (my network shown)

and yes, under: Location Profiles > General Settings > #3. Choose the network adapter you want to use.... Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN is checked and enabled and ranked.

(it still should've connected by now)

I have to manually activate the connect.

Why won't the connection automatically get restored?

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: Access Connections 5.50 doesn't Restore wireless connectivity

Hi,
in this case go to Global Settings and make sure, that the option "Allow wireless connection at Windows logon (requires system restart)" is selected. This will make sure, that there will be a connectino established while you start Windows.

And of course make sure, that you have the Location switching activated.
This should do the trick.

Let me know, if this will work for you.

Cheers

SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

Re: Access Connections 5.50 doesn't Restore wireless connectivity; manual again

Hi,

Confirmed the symptom still occurs... Prior to this writing, here's a sequence of events...:

Operating wirelessly, I Hibernate the Thinkpad. Later, I wake the Thinkpad and Access Connections connects successfully automatically. I shutdown and reboot (to change video from ATI to Intel in BIOS)... .I notice the green wireless LED lit all along loading time. At Windows Logon, the little Access Connections window appears, connecting... it clears away during loading... and finally when the laptop is loaded to the icons on the desktop, I see the system tray and evidently it has not connected wirelessly.

End up having to initiate the TAC app and manually connect.

Rick

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

Re: Access Connections 5.50 doesn't Restore wireless connectivity; manual again

Again my Access Connections 5.50 did not automatically wirelessly connect to router after a cold boot. It also does not show attempt of location switching from the short list of routers.

Plugged on AC power. I'm gonna reinstall TAC from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4ZLNJB

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

Re: Access Connections 5.50 doesn't Restore wireless connectivity; Lenovo site says 5.50 not 5.61

My findings:

1) http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70443 lists:

ThinkVantage Access Connections

15 Dec 2009
v5.50

However, the install package is actually 5.61, NOT 5.50

More specifically, the page "ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows XP - Notebooks", located at:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4ZLNJB.html

also lists:

File Details

Version:5.50
Release Date:2009/12/15
 File link   File size   File descriptio
81cx33ww.exe   24,676,352   ThinkVantage Access Connections
81cx33ww.txt   61,240   README for ThinkVantage Access Connections

but the package is version 5.61 (the readme txt file content is correct)

So........

2) That may explain why System Update did not detect a more recent version available (even if not sourced from same place).

3) My update to 5.61 (included a reboot) produced a change: Immediate after logon, I still get the Access Connections popup stating Connecting, please wait... and it disappears after a bit. (I never hear that "connected" .WAV file played at this time). New: when the desktop appears and the system tray is just starting to populate, I got another familiar Access Connections popup. Though a busy time for the laptop, it connected, including the familiar .wav sound, and did a balloon popup connected at 130Mbps.

[whew!]

Rick

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: Access Connections 5.50 doesn't Restore wireless connectivity; Lenovo site says 5.50 not 5.61

Hi,

cool, so you say, tha tth 5.61 version is the solution for you?

Thank for the confirmation.

Cheers

SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

Re: TAC 5.50 doesn't Restore wireless connectivity; site says 5.50 not 5.61; still not automatic

Hi Herik, My apologies for not being clear. On my last posting here, I wrote mostly on the version issue, and did not describe if the problem was finally gone. To that point, my laptop still has the symptom.  Here's what happened today (in boring detail):

[A] Cold boot (not resume from hibernate/standby) with Ethernet wire plugged. After login , I successfully connect to the network, and see TAC popups including the bar graph one with green check marks establishing IP address. 1000 Mbps. If relevant, Power Manager is set to Maximum Performance).

[B] Two hours later I disconnect the Ethernet wire. Correctly the balloon "A network cable is unplugged" appears and familiar sound of disconnection. Pausing a few seconds, I slide the Wireless Radio Status switch to ON and immediately get the popup "the master control for all wireless radios is now on....".  I now wait a few minutes....

[C] The Green radio antenna LED never lights. No problem, I select Power On Wireless Radio from the menu. I again wait a few minutes...

[D] TAC still does not attempt to connect. Automatic Location Switching or Best Available Network seems unaware.

[E] With TAC opened to the "Connect to the Internet" tab, The location listed in the dropdown is my profile name. The button read 'Connect'

[F] Upon pressing 'Connect' button, a balloon appeared and read 'not connected' and heard the Disconnect audio sound for my WIRED local area connection. (only now after all this time has passed?)  A couple seconds later the wireless TAC balloon appeared  and IP address was 192.168.1.106 and familiar audio connect sound was heard.

Okay, in short, it surely wasn't automatic process.

I've made a setting change since last posting in attempt to get to conclusion...

Instead of having one location profile with both network adapters (General Settings) in the I "want to use at this location", I've again created two separate location profiles.

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

Re: Access Connections doesn't autoRestore connectivity

Ongoing, I have time to write this time:

Wake from Hibernate. turn on wireless killswitch so I can connect.

No Wire, Greeen antenna LED lit, no TAC wireless connectivity.

ipconfig says:
WIRELESS media state = disconnected
WIRED Local Area Connection = 192.168.1.106

No browser session

I plug the wire
Balloon 1000 Mbps. Greeen antenna LED still lit
ipconfig says:

Browser works

I disconnect the wire
No Balloon update. No mention of disconnect. Greeen antenna LED still lit
ipconfig says:

No browser session

Without wire, I apply the killswitch
Green antenna LED now OFF
ipconfig still says WIRED = 192.168.1.106
no balloon notification, no browser session.

plugged wire. switch still in killed position.
green antenna still off.
ipconfig still says WIRED = 192.168.1.106
no balloon notification, browser works. Oh now got a balloon stating 1000 Mbps

release killswitch so I can connect wirelessly,
Run TAC. Button dsconnect the WIRED location. Get Limited or No Connectivity.
Button connect WIRELESS location, Connects: 130 Mbps.

while still unplugged, button connect WIRED connectivity (hoping to make awareness of 'limited or no connectivity' status.)
after some time, Wireless disconnects and TAC popup : Connection Failed. still showing as: 1.0Gbps and limited or no connectivity status.

So in Network Connections I disable and enable the adapter to resolve the symptom. now wired at 1000 Mbps again. Unplugging wire auto switches and vice-versa.

I'm seeking a fix so it doesn't happen when I change locations or resume from sleep / hibernate status. I think it's related to wake from hibernate/sleep. and perhaps loosely tied to power setting (sleep timers or other). But I'm no expert. Just want it to work like my T61 did :smileysad:

Rick

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
Paper Tape
Glymbol

Re: Access Connections doesn't autoRestore connectivity

Hello.

Recently I updated TAC from 5.12 to 5.61. Unfortunately I encounter problem described above by MacGyverRick. Strange thing, it was working fine for about two days and then refused to connect WLAN on system startup. I tried reinstalling the program, messed with it's configuration a lot but with no success. Finally I decided to restore system, I am aware there's some fixes in the newest TAC but 5.12 worked fine and connect WLAN without a problem.

SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

Re: Access Connections doesn't autoRestore connectivity; router option?

Hi,

Interesting... Perhaps I should consider going to an older version to see the result (not today).

Without specifics, it seems when I bring my thinkpad at another site wirelessly, it connects to that network without my intervention. when I bring my thinkpad back to my main location, it does not always connect without my intervention. I'm not paying attention. It's like a habit now to run TAC to reconnect.

Are there router settings that I can adjust to promote a more responsive establishment?

Rick

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP