Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
jskang

Access Connections (5.84) opens with no window displayed (Win 7)

I am running Windows 7 (64-bit) on a T500 with 6GB of RAM.

I ran the Lenovo Software Update utility the other day and installed all of the listed updates. This morning, I attempted to bring up Access Connections (aka Internet Connections; v. 5.84) to take a look at the profiles I had defined. When I start Access Connections, the task appears in the task bar but there is no window displayed!

I thought that the update that was performed through TVSU might have gone wrong so I downloaded 5.84 from Lenovo's website and attempted to install it again and I'm seeing the same behavior.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

For now, it's not severe issue as I don't have a need to create a new connection profile but I may have to soon.

Any suggestions on what I should try?

Thanks in advance.

Serial Port
jskang

Re: Access Connections (5.84) opens with no window displayed (Win 7)

I've tried removing and installing Access Connections a few times now. I removed and installed 5.84 and went as far as selecting to not save any of the profile information as part of the removal process. When I started attempted to start the application, I was able to get the user interface screen once. After that, I would end up in the same situation as I had previously. The task shows as running in the task manager and on the task bar. But, I get no interface. I get a couple flashes on the screen. So, there appears to be some issue with rendering/displaying the UI screen.

Thinking that it might be an issue with 5.84, I downloaded and installed 5.83. Still seeing the same behavior.

I guess I will see if I can get in touch with Lenovo support regarding this.

Retired Employee
Serge1410

hey jskang,

try uninstalling Access Connection as well as the ThinkVantage Toolbox, then reinstall both of them.

see if that fixes the issue.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Serial Port
jskang

Is there a particular order that I should install Access Connections and the Toolbox?

Retired Employee
Serge1410

no particular order

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Serial Port
jskang

Thanks. I'll give that a try and report back.
Serial Port
jskang

At this point, I only have Access Connections 5.84 installed and I am still seeing the same problem. It appears as though the application is unable to draw the interface window for some unknown reason.

I don't even see the application's splash screen though the taskbar item appears. This is very annoying (to say the least). Is there any way I can speak with someone at Lenovo's technical support group to report this problem? Do I need to call in through the 800 number?

Serial Port
jskang

OK. This did not work either. In addition, I have also discovered that the same behavior is happening with the Power Manager utility.

Same thing. Application comes up. Splash screen appears. And then nothing. The task is shown in the taskbar. But, no user interface screen is drawn.

Looks like I'll have to remove this application now, too.

At this point, I don't have the toolbox installed and I don't have the Access Connections application installed. Now, I will be removing the Power Manager application.

Can you provide me with some information on how I can get in touch with Lenovo support to get this problem resolved?
Paper Tape
hburgh

[ Edited ]

I was experiencing exactly the same problems with my T500 Win7 X64 Utilimate machine after the last set of Lenovo updates.  It took a few days for me to notice the problem.   Not only weren't the Access Connections and Power Manager windows not rendering, I also stumbled onto the fact that my Blackberry Desktop Manager was also not rendering. 

I had also applied a number of windows updates as well.  I backed them all off with no change. 

LENOVO SOFTWARE SUPPORT DOES NOT EXIST!!.  I called the 800 number 1-800-IBM-SERV and was told by the IBM contractor answering the Thinkvange support call that he is only allowed to tell a customer to uninstall and reinstall the Lenovo provided software.  If that does not fix the problem then he must tell the customer to reload the system from a prior backup or reinstall the operating system.

I booted the machine in safe mode with networking and found that the Power Manager and Access Connections windows will render.  That reminded me that included in the recent System Updates was a new display adapter driver from AMD.   I have had problems with these drivers in the past and went into device manager and rolled back the driver.  Reboot and now I have my access connection, power manager and Blackberry desktop windows fully operating.

IS THERE NO WAY TO REPORT A PROBLEM TO LENOVO FOR THEIR SOFTWARE ISSUES?

I hope this helps you and anyone else experiencing the same problems.

LENOVO  -  The last AMD Dual Driver is BAD!!!! as was releated in the past month for X64 machines.

I can be contacted at xxxxxxxxxxx if any Lenovo representatives or managers would like to discuss this issue and why I should continue to buy ThinkPads for me and my clients.

Moderator note; e-mail address removed to stop the spambots getting it

Serial Port
jskang

Ah. Thanks for that response. I'll have to give that a try, too.