Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: Access Connections Application

Hi,

unfortunately i have still no progress on this situation. However the last updtae from "RedBird" forced me to remember, that I saw caouple issues with the start of Power Manager applicaiton, that was basically caused by the stopped .NET upates on the system.

Here is the situation, that was the issue <please note that his might not be your case>:

- user have access in corporate intranet but using proxy they are not allowed to access internet

=> when this is configured, there is the issue, that AC and Power Manager take longer to start <60 - 150 seconds> and sometimes the GUI simply freezed as described in this case

=> when it was configured, that the .NET update was allowed in the proxy configuraiton, this issue was gone and AC and also Power Manager was working like charm.

Basically this was not direclty an issue of AC, or Power Manager. This was an "issue" of .NET 3.0 which is a requirement for these applications.

This is why I think, that this might have to do something with the .NET 3.0, or higher, as the previous version of AC <4.5> is using .NET 2.0 and is not realy "asking" .NET 3.0 for help if you know what I mean :smileywink:

Anyway, I'll have to check, what can be done in this situation , so that .NET 3.0 or higher will stop asking for update, so that the GUI freez will not occure.

If anyone can provide me with more informations on their .NET bas that they have installed and configured, that this could be of big use. Althought I'm not the real guru on .NET 3.0 and all his capabilities, I would appreciate any help by this situation. 

The fact, that you can change the profiles without any issue, while you don't need to open the GUI make me only believe stronger, that this is realy .NET 3.0 or higher related, as by start of AC GUI is the .NET 3.0 or higher "asked"

Howerver, I'll try to figure out so that you are not experiencing this freez.

Rgrds

HDMI
DangerMouse

Hi Herik

the problem was both present in Vista x64 and now in Windows 7 x64, ultimate versions of both.

Both had .NET 3.5 installed and fully updated with latest patches on both of them.

Hope this helps.

I am not in a corporate environment, nor do I only get my internet via proxy, I connect via WiFi to a DSL router with static IPs and also via the WWAN card to a telephone network.

These are my only two profiles. I do have two VPN accounts configured on my system as well. But not via Access Connections.

Cheers

DangerMouse
Current Machines : T420s/W530/X1CT
Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

thank you.

please give me some time and directly when I debug the root cause I'll let you know.

Rgrds

What's DOS?
RedBird

Ok, I have an update on my issue and perhaps another clue.

I upgraded to the most recent XP release, 5.30 and had the same problem.  It would take 30 minutes or more for the GUI to open.  What was frustrating was the problem hadn't presented itself until a few days after the initial install.  Then on a whim I trimmed the profiles from 5 to 3 and the application opened just fine.  No kidding, opened right up.  I added a 4th profile again to a wireless access point and the problem reappeared.  I deleted the profile again and the manager opened just fine.  By default we use 3 profiles, a static one for HQ, and two road profiles, one for wired DHCP and one for wireless DHCP, but quite often profiles get added when our staff connects to hotel, library, or starbucks hot spots.  I tested my solution on a few other laptops and it seemed to work for all of them.

I'm not sure why this is a T400/500 specific problem.  I'm running 5.31 on a T61p and it works just fine.  Just on the newer T500's are we having this problem.

Thanks!

HDMI
DangerMouse

I have indeed tried a number of things, ranging from uninstalling and reinstalling, cleaning registry, removing profiles, reinstalling OS

I did get it working normally in Vista once, before windows update, or system update did something that then reversed it back to its hanging state.

My laptop has just had a new systemboard fitted, and will be winging its way back to me tomorrow, Im assuming I'll need to do a clean OS install, if I do, I shall post more findings !

DangerMouse
HDMI
DangerMouse

Hi Herik,

This problem is now gone from the Windows 7 Beta version of Access Connections, build 718

Thought I would let you know that somehow, it was fixed !

Now all we need is some firmware update for the f3507g to make it more reliable, and I'm happy :smileyhappy:

DangerMouse