Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
MarcelNobel

[Access Connections] Slow WIFI speed when using location profile

I've noticed a strange issue when using access connections  location profiles. I've noticed this issue when I was reinstalling Windows 7 on my T510.

When I was finished installing a clean copy of Windows 7 my download speed was 3,5 MB/s. This matches with the 30Mb internet connection from my ISP. In the Windows Task Manager my WIFI connection showed a link speed of 130Mb and sometimes 144 Mb.

01.PNG

After installing Access Connections (version 5.95) my download speed was only 2MB/s and the Task Manager showed a link speed of 54Mb!

My wife uses a T500. On the T500 I have the same experience.

How can I fix this?

RedEd12
Topics: 5
Kudos: 59
Solutions: 13

Re: [Access Connections] Slow WIFI speed when using location profile

[ Edited ]

Hi MarcelNobel,

What version of Access Connections are you running? The newest version on the support site is 5.95 and was just released in July.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS030044

Best regards,

Ed

*Edit* This question was answered, I just missed it. Sorry!

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve a problem you encountered? Mark it as "solution provided" to help others with the same problem.
billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 164
Solutions: 103

[ Edited ]

MarcelNobel wrote:

After installing Access Connections (version 5.95) my download speed was only 2MB/s and the Task Manager showed a link speed of 54Mb!

My wife uses a T500. On the T500 I have the same experience.

How can I fix this?

There is a problem between Access Connections 5.93/5.93/5.95 and the later versions of the Intel drivers for the 5xxxx generation of Intel WiFi cards used in the ?00, ?01 and ?10 model Thinkpads.

I was advised that Lenovo is aware of the driver incompatibility issue, but is unlikely to fix it on what are now 'N-2' and 'N-3' ThinkPad models. :smileysad:

Personally, I overcame the issued by winding back the Intel Driver on my T400 to a version 12.x.x. release.  This allowed  Access Connections 5.95 to display the actual WiFi raw link connection speed instead of just displaying 54Mbps all the time.

Older versions of the driver are available on the Lenovo support web site, but it requires a bit of hunting around to find them, and then some persistence with getting the newer driver off your ThinkPad to make sure the older driver actually gets installed.... I don't recall the specific steps I went through right now, so I can't tell you exactly what to do.

As far as download throughput goes, I didn't find any issues with AC 5.95 and the later Intel WiFi drivers, it was just with the displayed speed that was the problem.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
MarcelNobel

[ Edited ]

I have a Intel Ultimate-N 6300 AGN adapter.

I've noticed something when I was going trough the registry (See image below). Maybe this has something to do with it. I will try it tonight.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules