Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
CatZ

Re: Access Connections egregeious RAM and CPU usage

Your CPU usage is around 40-80%? May I suggest you tell what antivirus/firewall you are using! For me Access Connections is complete crap. It doesnt run with any decent antivirus program (ESET, Kapersky)
Serial Port
davodavo

FWIW, I'm using Norton AV...which is all I've been using since Access Connections 3.5...

To clarify about CPU usage:

- if the real-time WiFi "rings" view isn't in use, AC uses ~1% CPU

- if that view IS in use, AC uses ~25% CPU

- if I push the "find" or "find again" button with the WiFi rings view in use,

CPU goes to 100% until the icons for all the base stations finally disappear.

The animation goes v----e----r----y------s---l---o---w---l---y and increases the

memory footprint by 30 MB or more.  I suspect there's an issue with the

management of the animation -- maybe the frame buffer isn't releasing

the discarded images for some reason.

Here's the info on my display adaptor drivers for the onboard ATI chipset:

version 6.14.10.6547

date:  2/6/2007

Paper Tape
kimotheraphy

I'm on a Thinkpad X61.. Recently restored to factory settings can completed update of Windows Vista.. Next was to update all the Lenovo stuff.. Had to do it manually since TVSU just disappeared off the face of the earth...  I updated my 4965AG wireless adapter drivers to the latest... This update requires that Access Connection be updated to at least version 5.21 I think... Being wary of messing with Access Connections, I decided to see how things go without updating Access Connections... Currently still running on version 4.42... Hey, everything is still working fine and fast... Not fully tested yet off course...
Serial Port
davodavo

Just upgraded to Access Connections 5.30 (including the Hotkey functions update).

Symptoms continue as described above.  VM size increases about 100K/sec, "Mem Usage" also increases by the same amount.  This continues indefinitely as long as the main "network topology" view is up and showing on screen.

However, if the window is minimiazed the VM size is stable and Mem Usage increases maybe 50K/sec.

Further, if the view of Access Connections is switched to the Location Profile tab, both VM and Mem Usage stabilize. 

IS THERE ANY WAY to turn the "network connected" animation off on the main view?  This appears to be what causes the memory leak. 

Serial Port
davodavo

Just upgraded to v5.33 and still see same pattern of memory leak with the GUI open. 

For SAGs, I reinstalled the hotkey driver and the onscreen display.  Here are the versions of stuff I have installed:

* AC 5.33u

* Kotkey features 1.31.0610

* Trackpoint Driver 4.69.0.0

Serial Port
davodavo

[ Edited ]

Upgraded to v5.5 a few months ago and now up to v5.61...symptoms continue, but a little better

- CPU usage is more reasonable...maybe 5% with the GUI open .

- memory leak is "only" 60 kB/s

Net result is if you leave the GUI open for 45 mins or so, you've got a 1/2 GB memory image and the tool gets very sluggish due to memory bandwidth.

Have uninstalled/reinstalled hotkey features and other ThinkVantage modules.  Doesn't seem to matter which combination of modules I have, the memory usage is just silly.

Reinstalled OS.  Tried AC on another x31.  No difference.  Still running XPpro SP3 on an x31 w/2 GB RAM.