Support in other languages: 
802.11n
JNavas

Re: BUG: Power Manager 3.64 stops working and won't uninstall

[ Edited ]

someotherguy wrote:

JNavas,

The Power Manager team would like to know if you have any optical drive attached to your system.  I know you are using X220 with mSATA + HDD; are you also using an ultrabase?  Is there an optical drive attached to your system some other way?

I do not have an UltraBase (or any other sort of dock or port replicator).

I do have an optical drive, Panasonic UJ-890AS (DVD burner), mounted in a slim external case,

that I attach to my X220 by USB, usually on the USB 3.0 port, as needed (not all the time).

I do not recall whether or not it was attached when Power Manager crashed.

UPDATE: I attached the optical drive, and then rebooted three times without a PM crash,

so while the optical drive may be a factor, it does not seem to be a decisive factor.

UPDATE 2: The external optical drive is USB 2.0, not 3.0 -- I just use the 3.0 socket because

it's more convenient.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

There is now a new version (3.65) of Power Manager available - see this post for more information: Power Manager 3.65

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

This particular issue is not fixed in the PM 3.65 release which was concluded before this issue was reported.  The fix for this issue will be in a future update.

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

someotherguy wrote:

This particular issue is not fixed in the PM 3.65 release which was concluded before this issue was reported.  The fix for this issue will be in a future update.

Thanks.

I upgraded to 3.65 regardless.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Paper Tape
tom_l

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same issue.

- X220 IPS - 4287CTO

- i5 2410M - 8GB RAM

- 80GB Intel 310 SSD (with OS on), stock drive as secondary

- No devices plugged in

Power Manager seems to work on a reboot, but not on a cold boot. On a cold boot, it will report the failure to start message:

"Power Manager has stopped working. Lenovo is constantly striving to improve the quality of our solutions.

To search for an update that will resolve the issue, click Next. No personal or system information will be sent during this process."

The battery gauge doesn't function.

Uninstall also freezes on 94%. If I kill the uninstall program after leaving it hung for a while, then re-run, it thinks it's all gone so it runs quickly and then reports that it's successfully uninstalled and prompts to reboot.

I've re-tried a couple of times (used the v3.65 install the second time) and the symptoms are the same, very frustrating. [edit: I don't think uninstall freezes with the v3.65, I haven't double checked].

I won't repeat what JNavas has done (John - thanks for going to the effort where I may have been too lazy!).

My issues mirror his so closely that I don't think it will add benefit until we have reassurance that the software team know where to look (the 3.63 > 3.64 change log perhaps?).

Is it worth the software team posting a tool that properly purges Power Manager 3.64/3.65 - and then we could get a link to pwr mgr 3.63 to test that, just to try and narrow things down?

I'm just glad mine hasn't done damage to the point of having to reinstall Windows - it better not get that bad!

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

tom_l wrote:

I have exactly the same issue.

Uninstall also freezes on 94%. If I kill the uninstall program after leaving it hung for a while, then re-run, it thinks it's all gone so it runs quickly and then reports that it's successfully uninstalled and prompts to reboot.

I've re-tried a couple of times (used the v3.65 install the second time) and the symptoms are the same, very frustrating. [edit: I don't think uninstall freezes with the v3.65, I haven't double checked].

Is it worth the software team posting a tool that properly purges Power Manager 3.64/3.65 - and then we could get a link to pwr mgr 3.63 to test that, just to try and narrow things down?

I'm just glad mine hasn't done damage to the point of having to reinstall Windows - it better not get that bad!

Trying to uninstall Power Manager (3.64) after it crashes results in hung incomplete uninstall that can corrupt Windows to the point that it won't boot without repair or reinstall of Windows. So if Power Manager (any version) has crashed, reboot cleanly (in Safe Mode if necessary) before uninstalling.

I don't think a clean tool is needed because uninstall works properly after a clean boot.

Hope that helps,
John
What's DOS?
postmac

W520 i7quad 8gb ram

Similar symptoms with power manager.  Once I tried unplugging the power and it started working again for a while.  I have 3.63 version and tried to uninstall it and it also freezes at 94% (I think it is the IKernel.exe *32 process that is freezing).

What's DOS?
postmac

Got BSOD after forcing uninstaller to quit and rebooting. Had to restore from last good configuration.
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

postmac wrote:
Got BSOD after forcing uninstaller to quit and rebooting. Had to restore from last good configuration.

Lucky you! Restore from last good configuration did not work for me. Had to reinstall Windows. (I was not amused.)

Hope that helps,
John
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

To anyone experiencing this crash:  are you using optical drive emulation software like daemon tools?