Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
swisarut
Accepted Solution

Blue ThinkVantage button now open simpletap instead of Lenovo TV toolbox

With the latest update of SimpleTap on my X220T

Blue ThinkVantage button now open simpletap instead of Lenovo TV toolbox, by opening bluebotton.exe in simpletap directory.

What is the reason and advantage of this change?

BTW, SimpleTap team should communicate more about its function and utility since I cannot find any user manual or update change about it.

Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Blue ThinkVantage button now open simpletap instead of Lenovo TV toolbox

The reason for the change is that Lenovo TV Toolbox is being withdrawn.  New systems from Lenovo factory no longer have TV Toolbox installed, so software team decided to use the blue button to launch SimpleTap instead.

As for SimpleTap purpose, it is supposed to be intuitive and not need any user manual.

What's DOS?
noonenoone

Can I undo the change by re-installed ThinkVantage Toolbox from support site? I quite like the functionality.

Also, if I can re-install, will any future SimpleTap update again reassign the button? And how can I stop SimpleTap updates from reorganizing my tiles? It's nice Lenovo spends time building apps, but I don't need/want most of them and with the ever increasing number it becomes a pain deleting them every time. I'm tempted to disable automatic updates for SimpleTap for these two reasons.

Regards,

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Reinstalling Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox (LTT) should reconfigure the blue button to launch LTT instead of SimpleTap.  But like I said, LTT is going away soon.

You can also configure the blue button to launch any application you want by editing the registry at:

"Computer -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> IBM -> TPHOTKEY -> 8001" and then change the EXE that "File" points to.

Every new version of SimpleTap that you install will most likely re-assign the blue button to launch SimpleTap again.

As for your tiles being re-organized, I don't have any solution for that, sorry.

What's DOS?
noonenoone

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try and stick with TVT for as long as I can.

I think I'll switch off the automatic updates for SimpleTap for the time-being. It seems to me it's a work in progress. Great for the app-happy, but most of it I can do without. In any case, much of the SimpleTap apps I've see will no doubt be overtaken by Win8 later in the year. I mean, who'd want to go into SimpleTap to launch Facebook, Twitter, Skype, etc when you'll be able to do that straight from the Metro interface?